Ultimate Subaru Message Board

loyale operating temp

Just because you flushed it doesnt mean its no clogged. Alos you need to physically inspect the cooling fins between the AC and the radiator. Its not uncommon for the fins to rot.

This sounds like a clogged radiator to me.

Under load since the radiator is clogged temp goes up.

Typical for a bad radiator.

nipper

i have already flushed it and it stays cool. just the gauge goes up and down between 1/2 and 3/4. coming off the interstate from 75 to pay toll the temp actually went down to half from 3/4.????

But the temperature is staying steady??

You said you already put an aftermarket temp gauge on, you WERE talking about the stock gauge needle bouncing despite the temp staying steady on the aftermarket one, right?

But the temperature is staying steady??

You said you already put an aftermarket temp gauge on, you WERE talking about the stock gauge needle bouncing despite the temp staying steady on the aftermarket one, right?

i havent installed it yet but goin to in the next day or so. the stock needle bounces. it has almost hit the red and immediately gone back down. didnt know if that was a bad sending unit or not. i have already flushed it and parked it on a hill to do the water. planning on switching the radiator to a double row but havent found one yet. what is the highest temps i should be seeing?

i havent installed it yet but goin to in the next day or so. the stock needle bounces. it has almost hit the red and immediately gone back down. didnt know if that was a bad sending unit or not. i have already flushed it and parked it on a hill to do the water. planning on switching the radiator to a double row but havent found one yet. what is the highest temps i should be seeing?

You SHOULDNT see above about halfway, preferably more like 1/3 up.. (I have a digidash, so the temp gauges is TOTALLY different, but that seems to be consensus) If your needle is going all over the place, I would suspect the connection to the sending unit and the sending unit itself; but these "suspicions" are NOT diagnoses. Please do not take them as such.

To check if the radiator may be clogged, feel across the surface of it with the engine hot. If you can feel a spot that is cooler than the rest, that means that area of the rad is plugged up; extensive clogged areas warrant a new radiator. When was the water pump changed last? how are your fans, are they both working right? make sure the electric one comes on when it gets warmed up. One cheap thing to replace that goes miles for "peace of mind" is the thermostat; I hear that the OEM one is the best hands down. At least it is easy to replace, if the Subaru part sets you back a good bit. PErsonally I do not run a thermostat, but I live in south Florida and "cold" means less than sixty degrees, "REALLY cold" means less than fifty. "Freezing" is just a metaphor. Even so, I have learned much in recent months that have convinced me to put "installing a thermostat" on the "to do" list, so I cannot recommend no T stat for anyone.

the temp on my 92 Loyale usually reads around 1/3 during the summer...creeps alittle closer to half with AC...and in the winter just barely gets off the C.... My XT6 reads about half to a tiny bit above..now with the new T stat..but we believe the guage is off ...and my Imp is about half to slightly above

Yeah, my Loyale usually stays at 1/4 on the guage. Maybe 1/3 when the temp is in the 90's, I have the a/c on, and I'm stuck in stop and go rush hour traffic. If it goes over that I get really nervous.....:eek:

-Doug

i have checked the radiator and almost no fins are missing or bent and doesnt seem to be any cold spots atleast not that i can find. i plan on replacing it soon but auto parts store can only pull the one up for the automatic car with the transcooler in it, and no double row. i am not sure about the water pump but will check into it. does anyone know like an actual temp that would say hey im running hot... 180 - 200 is like normal right so what anything about 220 is hot? i am not running a thermostat, thought that might have been the prob but its not.