Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replace torsion bar or go with ea82 coilovers?

mcbrat

well

4 years of offroading

3" lift blocks and torsion bar clocked 1 notch

and with the weight of the roll bar, rescue equipment, steel bumper, and rear tire carrier with a SSR on it.

Rancho Shocks

I went outside the other night, and the left side torsion bar had let go. sitting flat on that side....

should I replace torsion bars, or put in ea82 waggy rear coilovers?

• 1 month later...

well, coilovers are in (thanks Gary) .... too much weight in the back for the torsion bars...

I ended up putting my 3" lift brackets (shocks) back in (didn't use them with the Ranchos) , and drilling new holes in the coilover top mount cup to fit the lift brackets.

It's definitely got lift in the rear now :)

So how does it ride now compared to having the rancho's in the rear? Is it alot stiffer?

yeah, it's a lot stiffer, plus I had some issues. I made a bad decision when attempting to disable the one working torsion bar. it's fixed up now, but was scary for a bit... I was unable to disable the one remaining torsion bar, so now it looks like it's sitting higher on that side.... have to get it on level ground first to tell....

I'll be driving it tonight to see how it rides better, and to see if I need a diff drop plate, or if my hybrid ea81/82 rear axles will be enough....

:lol: I can't see a whole lot out my rear view mirror... (spare tire carrier compounds issue)

anyway, it's definitley stiff. even with the weight of the rearend, with the tire carrier and spare, I still have 13.5" of clearance under the diff with 27" SSRs... I'm running a welded rear still, and anytime I make a corner it raises even further and starts popping.

I'm not sure if I should drop the diff a bit, or if my customaxle will take care of it....

How high is it sitting?

Higher than stock + 3 inches?

Cheers

Matt

stock clearance 8"

ssr's 27.5"

stock tires 23.2"

4.3" diff, divided in half get's me 2.15" additional clearnace due to larger tires...

so with the SSR's I should be running at 10.15" clearance to maintain stock axle angle.... :)

so that puts me at just over 3" of suspension lift, with the roll bar, steel bumper, tire carrier, and spare, plus recovery gear box...

so after disabling the torsion bar, I can just figure out a mount without the horseshoe bracket.... and I should be okay....

I'm guessing, I just need to remove the

• 2 weeks later...

okay, got the remaining "good" torsion bar semi-disabled.

I cut the triangle shaped tray area off the tube, and cut off the adjuster/tensioner so it not nearly as tight anymore.... it still "works", but take a lot longer to engage....

still still in back. I've got a diff drop plate on the way from SJR to fix my axle angles. I currently have the rear axles out, and when I put the diff drop plate in, I'll put in my "long travel" axles...

• 2 weeks later...

well, if your tosion bar is no longer functioning (Twisted in half), and you add rear ea82 coilovers with an additional 3" of lift, you will end up with failure of the torsion bar plate that connects to the trailing arm.... :)

there is a rubber bushing in the torsion plate, that flexes with your suspension, and if there is no longer a torsion bar attached to help hold it in place, and it's flexed 3" further than stock, and you put some extreme pressures on the tire, the rubber bushing will tear out completely, and the plate will bend into an "s" shape, letting your rear wheel flop about a bit and bounce around in the wheel well.

as long as you don't have sharp edges on your fenders, you will still be able to drive yourself back to camp :)

I don't have pics of the bent plate, as I took it off, and straightened it, but I will have pics of the additional fix that is needed to complete the swap from a failed torsion bar to coil over :lol: