Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Experience with Sea Foam?

HI alll,

My ea82 is a little sluggish and needs a good maintenance. I got a can of sea foam and I was thinking of adding some to:

the oil,

the fuel

the master cylinder vacuum line into the engine

how have you used sea foam and what where the results?

Am I going over kill or not?

what would you do in any particular order?

vacuum, then oil and fuel for a tank before changing oil and the regular maintenance.

I don´t have an Answer, but... I have had some Carb Dirt on my Weberized EA82. I´ve Tryed pouring almost every chemical additive to the Gas Tank (Carb Cleaners) and Spray carb cleaner directly to the Carb... The Trouble only decreases to almost dissappear, but then it comes again... :-\ ...a "Drown" carb on Higher Rpm´s at full throttle... I Hate that!

I was thinkin´ about to use a Seafoam can just to Clean the Carb... but I´m not sure How to Use it, ´cos I really don´t have the spare Time now to Take the Weber out and Learn exactly how to dissasemble it / clean it \ reassemble it...

So, this thread will be so Helpful for me too! :)

Ok heres my 2 cents on seafoam

Ive been thinking about doing the same thing but heres the deal

Seafoam works plane and simple works great. My brother has a 1977 dodge power wagon full time 4wd x military truck 1 ton its a beast. It was alittle sluggish and he added seafoam to his carb just poured it down the intake and kept on the gas. Enough smoke to kill all the mosquitos. Was kickin crud out the tail pipe. Ran like a top fule . You could cherp the tires. Its that good.

Heres the problem though. The stuff in sea foam gets hot thats y it works so good it cleans out all the stuff with heat and chemical. If you put it in the crankcase and youve already got leaks more then likely ur gonna get them again. I could recoment starting with the gastank then into the intake however you do it. Id save the oil for last because thats whats gonna really get you. I havent gotten any yet but as soon as i can make it to the parts store im gonna pick it up and at least put it into the tank. Just be sure to read the directions very well

ben

Do it the other way around, thru vacuum line first, then add to fuel (well, maybe add it to your fuel FIRST, so that its in the fuel you are burning while doing the vacuum line procedure) and then, if you feel like it, add to your oil about 500 miles before an oil and filter change.

Its good stuff, unless you are experiencing an abnormal amount of the Tick Of Death, I would recommend just sucking up half the bottle into a vacuum line and pour half the bottle in 6-8 gallons or so of gas.. in other words, maybe overdo it on the volume sucked into intake, and over concentrate it in the gasoline, just a little bit. Gives it a little more kick.

I completely sware by Seafoam.. I have never done the vac line trick yet..just some in the gas tank and some in the oil..Works wonders if you ask me...after running my Loyale with it for its TOD .. I have been told I have one of the queitest running EA82s around...if it wasnt for an exhaust leak you wouldnt hear him at all..OH and thats a car with over 200K on it. I use it in my XT6 as preventative maintenance since my motor has less then 30K on it.

If you read through the threads about Seafoam..TOD.etc you will see the use of that along with MMO and also ATF ( OH! this is directed towards the oil leak issue). These car leak..plain and simple...I had my EA82 resealed and 6 months later it was leaking again..not as bad though..It keeps the underside of the car from rusting;) . Dont let that detur you from adding it to the oil..I would rather have to add a quart once a month then listen to TOD..

put a few ounces in your 1/4 tank of gas. run the car and dump a good portion down the intake. turn the car off and pour some in the carb/tb to soak

run the car and clear its throat

add the other 1/3d of the can through the oil and then change it within 100 miles

for carbs i would dump some in the carb to soak wheras fuel injected the vac line is ideal

I actually dont put it in the fuel system I once put 1/2 the bottle in my 200K saab in the engine(not alot of smoke so not alot of carbon) and 1/2 into the gastank.3 days latter my fuel pump died.it may be coincidence it may not..either way the pump cost $400(new oem...)