Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering Quickener?

Not sure exactly where to post this, but after converting my T-Wag to RWD, it has become painfully obvious that my steering is SUPER slow. Like 4 turns lock to lock slow. After 5 min of research I can get a 1.5 ratio that will give me an S2000 like 2.666666 turns lock to lock. Basically I was wondering if anyone has installed a steering doubler/quickener on their 'ru and how much trouble it was to install.

:burnout:

I WANT THAT FAST STEERING FOR EMERGENCY/ADVANCED DRIVING TECHNIQUES!!! 4:1 is totally unacceptable in this day and age, especially for a car with sporting intentions such as my wagon. My other option is a 02-04 WRX/STi steering rack which would probably require at least some modification where a steering quickener in theory just be fitted in line with the steering shaft.

if its like te 2:1 boxes we used in our race cars, it'll come with a splined shaft on both sides which youll need the couplers for. then you"ll have to fab a mount for the box plus find a place to tie it into the steering shaft. I know it took awhile to get used to it, easier to catsh the car harder to get into the corner. Jon

I WANT THAT FAST STEERING FOR EMERGENCY/ADVANCED DRIVING TECHNIQUES!!! 4:1 is totally unacceptable in this day and age, especially for a car with sporting intentions such as my wagon. My other option is a 02-04 WRX/STi steering rack which would probably require at least some modification where a steering quickener in theory just be fitted in line with the steering shaft.

You want whats called "fast ratio" (sorry but quickener was like nails on a chaulk board).

As long as you dont do a lot of parallel parking, you can do this. Even with power assisted steering it can make the wheel heavy.

How do you wish to do this?

nipper

As long as you dont do a lot of parallel parking, you can do this. Even with power assisted steering it can make the wheel heavy.

nipper

ea81ts have horribly overpowered power steering anyway, far too light. I reckon a factor of 1.5 would be very nice indeed, let me know how it goes carfreak! I might have to copy you.......

The XT power steering rack has a quicker ratio than a stock GL rack.. I have one in my wagon. It may be a more subtle difference than what you want though.

just did that mod last week.....if my old steering rack hadn't been totally shot, I would've called it a worthless project. I noticed a much bigger difference from the extreme toe-in I gave it upon initial installation. counted about 3.75 turns lock-to-lock with my loyale rack, and a touch under 3.5 with the XT....yawn

a guy here in the Twin Cities installed one (a ratio doubler in the steering column) in his now-EJ22t-powered GF, giving him something like 2.25 turns. it's a bit squirmy on the freeway....but still safe, and an absolute demon on the AutoX course!!! I guess he got it from a rally company, it was specifically designed to work in a GC impreza, so it was an extremely easy installation, but cost an arm and a leg!

It was specifically designed to work in a GC impreza, so it was an extremely easy installation, but cost an arm and a leg!

Arms and legs I've got!!! See if you can find any info for me about this application.

I really see this as the only option I have. An 04 STi rack would be ideal, but would require too much fabrication to other parts to make it worth my while. As long as the unit is around 6-8" in length and under 4" diameter, I beleive I can get it to fit nicely in my wagon.

On a side note, subaru should have made all EA81Ts RWD!!!!:clap::headbang:

4:1 is totally unacceptable in this day and age

The high ratio used to be before power steering... the higher ratio gives your more mechanical advantage. I've heard some dumptrucks from the 40 and 50's had something like 15 turns lock to lock.... not doing any quick manuvers with that eh... well, they also had a 75HP straight 6 in a 16,000lb truck to prevent that.

The really high ratio is also why trucks used to have spinner knobs on the steering wheels. I think they may be illegal on new cars (new being anything since 1960 probably....)