Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I drove an 85 Loyale for years and at one time plowed snow over the hood uphill with no chains. It would go anywhere.

Does anyone know what the fail point of these newer Sub's are? I drive a 98 Outback now and am a little un-trusting of the "all wheel drive" capability in such places as sand and deep snow. Does it just feel different or is it that much weaker than the old dual range 4-wheel drives?

You're still going to get 50-50 split just like the old 4WD cars. Add in a set of snow tires and good driving skills and I think you'll get just as far, if not farther than you would have in your Loyale. I've taken my Legacy in snow that reached almost all the way up to the bottom of the bumper and it just kept going without a hitch.

The keys though, like I said before, are knowing how to drive in snow and having good snow tires. I don't really drive that well in snow (I'm a pedal-happy teenager, what can I say), but I can manage. A seasoned driver with temper can easily do better than I can.

Some outbacks also have rear VLSD's which can help a lot too.

The AWD should be at least as good. For deep snow, if you can get a limited slip rear differential in there that might help out. Limited slip front would be awesome too but I've only heard of that on very new Soobs. Also lift springs such as scorpion/king springs can give you another 1.5" lift or so. Dedicated snow tires help too.

Also you could do some tests to see if the AWD is working correctly. When I first got my '00obw auto trans, I noticed in the snow it would really only spin the front tires and not put much power to the rear. I think the clutch packs were glazed maybe. It fixed itself this one time when I was driving in stop, stop, crawl traffic on sheer ice last winter for about two hours. Every time we started to creep, I hit the gas enough to make the front tires spin (didn't take much on the ice). After doing that for a few hours, now the rear tires will engage and spin too much better than before.

I drove an 85 Loyale for years and at one time plowed snow over the hood uphill with no chains. It would go anywhere.

Does anyone know what the fail point of these newer Sub's are? I drive a 98 Outback now and am a little un-trusting of the "all wheel drive" capability in such places as sand and deep snow. Does it just feel different or is it that much weaker than the old dual range 4-wheel drives?

If your in deep snow, you definately want good snow tires. My Forester does great until the snow reaches the door bottoms, than its all over- Had to be pulled out last winter:-\ Though, the road was also littered with taller, true off road vehicles. I am sure it would do better without the all seasons it has, but I like a softer, quieter ride.

Thanks for all the good info. :) I did have one incident last winter that would make a good Subaru commercial. There is a hill with a light at the top near the Freeway on-ramp. On this one morning, it had rained hard (hey it's Washington) and then it got clear and cold causing a thick sheet of glare ice.

When we got to the hill every make and model of 4X4 truck and SUV was there spinning-out and unable to get started again once the light had turned green. Eventually there was an opening and we slalomed through all of them without a hitch. They all gave me a look like "#$@% Subaru".

The all wheel drive is actually quite amazing. But, you are only as good as your tires. With good tires in cold snow, plowing snow over the bumper, an outback will stall the engine before it looses traction. Which is where the low range would really help.....

Last winter we had a mile of driveway in washington that was packed snow, then rained for three days and turned into glazed wet ice. Some spots were 20% grade. Both my old GL and my dad's outback made it up -- both had new expensive sipped snow tires. 4x4 trucks were running chains.

Z

as far as actual traction is concerned, you'll notice the most improved traction based on tire selection....all seasons, snows or studded.

the facts - the older models have a locking center differential. the newer models do not. also the older style locking rear diffs were a clutch type, not a VLSD. the clutch type EA series rear diffs in the older soobs are better for most typical snow driving situations. now to oppinion, which seems linked to those facts. of the many subaru's i've owned i prefer the older gen in snow.

as far as actual traction is concerned, you'll notice the most improved traction based on tire selection....all seasons, snows or studded.

the facts - the older models have a locking center differential. the newer models do not. also the older style locking rear diffs were a clutch type, not a VLSD. the clutch type EA series rear diffs in the older soobs are better for most typical snow driving situations. now to oppinion, which seems linked to those facts. of the many subaru's i've owned i prefer the older gen in snow.

basically,. thats my reason for liking the older cars in bad weather. now i just need to get the drive train out of another rx for my brat and ill be happy.