Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing rear rotors 2000 Outback????

Uh...you don't remove the axle nut to get the rotors off. If you removed the axle nut, then it should be replaced with a new axle nut, and it needs to be torqued properly. Also removing or looosening much the axle nut with the wheels on the ground can damage the wheel bearings.

There are a couple ways to get the rotors off. First make sure the parking brake shoes are fully backed off with the star adjuster through the back of the backing plate.

Then, if your rotors have two threaded holes on the part over the hub, just drive two 8mm bolts into those holes and it will force it off the hub.

Or if you have aftermarket rotors that don't have the two bolt holes, you may need to use a propane torch and sledge hammer. Even with those it took me a while to get the rotors off my '00obw.

Ah right on forgot about that. The caliper bracket must be removed as well. The rear caliper bracket bolts can be a little tricky. If they haven't been removed lately and you live in a salty area be prepared for a job on your hands. You don't want those bolts to snap.

I had to beat on mine for a long time with an impact wrench, use the torch, penetrating oil, beeswax, repeat repeat repeat finally they backed out. They were in pretty bad shape, so I went to the dealer to get some replacement bolts. They had a whole box of them. They said they often snap.

If you're planning to reuse the rotors, then yes you'd need a rubber mallet or a heavy dead blow hammer works well too. I had to use a hard faced 10lb sledge on mine. That will ding them up bad though.

The front caliper bracket bolts were easy; somone had put antisieze on them.

Yes, Yes, Yes. I broke a bolt when removing the front caliper, bolt was 3 bucks AND then I had to buy the mounting bracket 100.00 since the bolt was rust welded in. Cost we me a week without the sub. USE PB Blaster you can get it at Walmart. I wish I knew back then