Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I just got back from Les Schwab and I'll never go back...at least not for anything but tires. They tried to convince me that the AGX was non-adjustable and had a smoother ride.

I'm curious aobut what you all think the difference between the 2 is...

simple, the difference is that the agx struts are adjustable, 8 points in the rear and 4 up front. the gr2's are you basic replacement strut, about 20% better dampening than stock from what i remember though. i have used both options on my cars, my 86rxhad the gr2 bits since thats the best i could find for it and my 00 impreza has the agx setup on it. i really like kyb suspension, they tend to hold up really well through abuse and what not and the agx line makes spirited driving that much better.

if you have the option and the money, the kyb agx struts are definatly the way to go, but i would reccomend getting better springs than the stockers with them. might as well upgrade while you have it all apart.

also, if you go with the agx bits, id reccomend all four corners at once.

http://www.kyb.com/products/

GR-2® Premium Shocks and Struts are specially designed to provide a smooth, secure ride with excellent control for drivers who are looking for ride comfort and improved handling.

AGX Sport Adjustable Shocks And Struts

With its competition grade engineering and construction, AGX® Sport Adjustable Shocks and Struts are perfect for sport enthusiasts and high performance drivers.

The AGX are of course more expensive and they are available only for certain Subaru models.

You can run old springs on them. If the springs show any signs of rust or corrosion or damage or anything they should be replaced. The can weaken over time from all the flexing too and loose some of their spring rate so replacement might be in order. Even new OEM springs aren't that expensive.

Slight redirect..........

I've been looking for a spring strut combo for my OBW that we use to pull a pop-up camper. I'm about to give up and just do a KYB with OEM springs. Any chance any of you has any guidance or experience in this area???? I'd rather not spend the money for King Spring either. Thanks for you input, now back to your regularly scheduleled discusion. Tim

Slight redirect..........

I've been looking for a spring strut combo for my OBW that we use to pull a pop-up camper. I'm about to give up and just do a KYB with OEM springs. Any chance any of you has any guidance or experience in this area???? I'd rather not spend the money for King Spring either. Thanks for you input, now back to your regularly scheduleled discusion. Tim

Ill bet stock springs will work just fine. Are we cornering at 100mph or something? :rolleyes::-p

The king springs, or scorpion as renickmotorsports calls them, do work pretty nicely. I got about a 1.5" lift with them on '00obw. I do not know of any other lift or stiffer same height springs for Subaru's. From renick, a set of 4 king springs will run about twice the cost of new oem springs.

The only other item I know of are those rubber spring spacers that I guess are supposed to give more spring rate maybe.