Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82t is my turbo heating up my car

I have a ea82t and i think the turbo may have died?, my seems to over heat when iam boosting at 0.5 psi like if iam climbing a hill once i get to the top off the hill and iam just crusing the temp drops back down i can drive it all day just crusing but a soon as i give it some temp rises very quickly and very high, just put in new reader, water pump hose's, cap, head gaskits checked heads with feeler gage? the turbo makes a high pitch noise as soon as i put my foot down and go's to 0.5 realy quickly so i have to drive really slow to keep it below starting to pee my off..

I'm guessing hes using "bars" (cause he's international)

1 bar = 14.5037738 psi

So my guess is hes getting somewhere around 7psi.

I'd check the t-stat just to be safe.

it depends on which model (USDM/JDM/EDM) he has, if it's an EDM he should be boosting to 0,7/0,8 bar

He is not THAT far away, the Sunshine Coast is in BC. Still could be a JDM engine or car. The turbos were not as common in Canada as they are in the US.

Are you losing any coolant? Could be a headgasket that only shows up when the engine is loaded.

Had the same problem in my RX... only overheated under boost, and any amount of boost from 2psi up to 9 psi where I run it. Not loosing any coolant, No evidence at all of a head gasket failure, and only 10,000 mi. since head gaskets, water pump, oil pump, etc.

Had suspicions about the radiator, and installed new radiator. Seemed to help, but did not cure it.. So I'm in the process of swapping a WRX radiator and both electric cooling fans, using a relay and a cooling fan Switch (honda accord) to control them. My opinion is that it's better to improve than restore.

One idea I have, tap into your electric fan, if you have one, so you can manually turn it on.. otherwise, it only comes on with your a/c.. to the best of my knowledge. I have never had the elec. fan on my RX come on by itself only due to engine temp. but will come on w/ a/c activation.

Hi all,

Ok my car is a 1989 L series touring wagon with a 91 ea82t motor with a awd box lsd diff, 3 inch all the way through 15 inch rims with maxixs low profile tires, huge intercooler, short shifter , 280zx injectors ,pod flitter,turbo the list go's on having a little trouble with uploading photo's but should have some up today any about the turbo problem last night i decided to rip the heads off wich ive done now a little bit off a blow out on the left hand side hg but not to bad right hand side was all good but going to send heads off to get checked by a pro and as for the turbo i have a td04 and a stainless 3inch wrx exhaust wich i have been wanting to put on so now i can, take the header pipe and turbo in today to get the a flange made up. So hopefully with the new turbo heads fixed and new hg my baby should be back on the road NOT OVERHEATING anymore. I live in australia and my boost gage kpa's x1000 if that make any sence?.