Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hawk makes pads for ea81 cars

Found this very interesting on the Hawk brake pads website. Someone may have already posted this but I thought it was worth putting up here. May make for some extra stopping power for old auto cross cars or our offroad rigs with bigger tires. Not the cheapest pads in the world but I may just have to give them a try since my lifted hatch needs front pads pretty bad.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/parts/search.php?year=1985&make=SUBARU&model=BRAT&show_street=yes&Submit=Find+Parts+%3E%3E

this could be interesting, pity there isnt a big brake kit for the older cars.

Hardly necessary. SS lines and pads like this make a world of difference. In stock form the cars don't go fast enough to warrant the added heat capacity of larger rotors. A higher operating temperature from the pad goes a loooong way. Plus most cars need to upgrade to rear disc brakes first.

You ordered Hawk pads for an 86 hatch and will get them in a few days...

I ordered Hawk pads for my 91 Legacy and they were backordered for 4 months...

:mad:

Anyway, they're good pads, but keep in mind that these are performance pads, which typically means they need to get warmed up a bit before you actually notice their benefit.

Plus they will probably squeak, even when they're still good.

Hardly necessary. SS lines and pads like this make a world of difference. In stock form the cars don't go fast enough to warrant the added heat capacity of larger rotors. A higher operating temperature from the pad goes a loooong way. Plus most cars need to upgrade to rear disc brakes first.

you never went on a ride with me through the mountains, my rx was faster than my impreza in the hills. and coming down the mountain is very twisty and there is no posted speed limit. most take that road at about 15-25mph, i rarely drop below 40. its all about knowing the limits of the car and no getting past em. then again, the rx out handles my impreza, god i miss that little car already. but yeah, stopping power wasnt the greatest in that car.

oh yeah, and the hawk hps? pads are the street pads, way better than any stock pads ive seen and they work great in all conditions from what ive seen. i think they are made of a compound that doesnt require warm up to work. they do leave a bit of dusting though.

you never went on a ride with me through the mountains, my rx was faster than my impreza in the hills. and coming down the mountain is very twisty and there is no posted speed limit. most take that road at about 15-25mph, i rarely drop below 40. its all about knowing the limits of the car and no getting past em. then again, the rx out handles my impreza, god i miss that little car already. but yeah, stopping power wasnt the greatest in that car.

Well, then you have a rare circumstance where the added heat capacity will do you very well. I know about limits, I take my Legacy to a road course. I barely drop below 60 in the turns, one over 110. But I prefer closed course vs. open road.

oh yeah, and the hawk hps? pads are the street pads, way better than any stock pads ive seen and they work great in all conditions from what ive seen. i think they are made of a compound that doesnt require warm up to work. they do leave a bit of dusting though.

The operating temperature starts just a touch above OEM. The only time you will really notice is the first stop on a cool/cold day or driving through frozen slush without touching the brakes. But in less than a second they will be up to full operating temperature. 1 second is a lot in braking time, so don't fly out of your driveway pegging 3rd gear through a school zone. But that is rarely an issue with the pads, its very rare you can even notice.

Well, then you have a rare circumstance where the added heat capacity will do you very well. I know about limits, I take my Legacy to a road course. I barely drop below 60 in the turns, one over 110. But I prefer closed course vs. open road.

i honestly prefer closed courses as well, but unfortunatly, thats not very easily accomplish for me, granted, summit point is only about 35 minutes away, but that requires a lot more money that i have to spend.

i might drive spiritedly in the hills, but i keep the car in control and dont get to excessive speeds, and i always slow down when ever there are other cars on the road. one of the main reason is really only drive the hills at night, you can see the other cars on the road a lot farther away from the lights. the real trick is avoiding deer though. granted, they dont like the sounds of a quick rev in nuetral, especially with a turboed car with a bov. im not trying to sounds like some type of ricer that drives like an idiot, i dont street race, i drive at the speed limits, i just happen to love the twisties but i always keep the car under control and drive within reason. i like to have fun, what can i say.

i might drive spiritedly in the hills, but i keep the car in control and... dont get to excessive speeds, and i always slow down when ever there are other cars on the road... i drive at the speed limits, i always keep the car under control and drive within reason.

Did anyone say otherwise? Are you trying to convince me or yourself?? :lol:

Did anyone say otherwise? Are you trying to convince me or yourself?? :lol:

shhhh! if i keep telling myself, one day ill believe it:lol: .

but seriously, i do drive a lot better than the rest of the people in the dc metro area, sadly enough. i love it cause driving the speed limit angers a vast majority of the other people on the road around here. i love angering stupid people, its funny to watch their faces cause im not driving like a retard.

• 4 weeks later...

I just installed these pads along with new rotors in the front along with replacing my right front cv. The difference with these pads is a pretty nice suprise. My brake power went way up and they don't make very much noise. I noticed a pretty big difference with braking hard at high speed (not much in lifted rigs) really helps alot with having bigger tires on there. I think overall they are worth it.

Glad you like the pads, Jerry. I loved them on my old WRX.

This thread reminded me that I have a new master cylinder to install... :rolleyes:

Yes. Let me know if you need some help. I actually flipped to the section in my subaru manual that talked about replacement this weekend when I was working on my brakes. I was thinking of that as well.

• 2 months later...