Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wyoming bound

So we made it... left at 8AM eastern on wednesday, arived 3:13 AM western today.

So that's 45? hours to get here. Only ran over one coyote, and the car worked flawlessly. Held 80 fine in top gear (auto), and would easily excede that when passing (while parents were asleep of course...) Returned milage varying from 24.3- 29.8 mpg, so pretty darn good for the 2.5l

Had some insane rain coming through illinois, a semi passed us at full speed while I was having a hard time seeing the lines with the wipers on max at 45. 10mins later, semi is in center median,trying to reverse out of the steep wet grass, 100 feet down the road there's a Chevy silverado crew cab with the bed crushed to half size, the windows blown out, and the front stuffed into the gaurdrail... I hope the semi driver gets absolutely screwed for that one.

Same sort of rain, but only for 10mins coming into cheyenneWY around midnight.

Other than that, the trip went awsome. Now it's off to scrounge the wyoming junkyards for EA82 rust free parts. I need a rear crossmember in a bad way, mines dropping pieces off it's so rusty.

So we made it... left at 8AM eastern on wednesday, arived 3:13 AM western today.

So that's 45? hours to get here. Only ran over one coyote, and the car worked flawlessly. Held 80 fine in top gear (auto), and would easily excede that when passing (while parents were asleep of course...) Returned milage varying from 24.3- 29.8 mpg, so pretty darn good for the 2.5l

Had some insane rain coming through illinois, a semi passed us at full speed while I was having a hard time seeing the lines with the wipers on max at 45. 10mins later, semi is in center median,trying to reverse out of the steep wet grass, 100 feet down the road there's a Chevy silverado crew cab with the bed crushed to half size, the windows blown out, and the front stuffed into the gaurdrail... I hope the semi driver gets absolutely screwed for that one.

Same sort of rain, but only for 10mins coming into cheyenneWY around midnight.

Other than that, the trip went awsome. Now it's off to scrounge the wyoming junkyards for EA82 rust free parts. I need a rear crossmember in a bad way, mines dropping pieces off it's so rusty.

Take it from me, part out your East coast mobile and put the parts on a Wyoming car. Rust is a cancer, parts move faster than rust can be treated.

Take it from me, part out your East coast mobile and put the parts on a Wyoming car. Rust is a cancer, parts move faster than rust can be treated.

Heh, I wish I could. I'm working for another year and a half out of this body. I'm getting good with the MIG, so patching the rust isn't horrible, just a PITA. Plus the car was given to me by a relative, so there's a bit of obligation there.

And I'm the second owner of the car... how often do you get to say that?

Every one of the battle scars in the car was put there by me.. it was pristine when I got it. There's character there that's hard to replace.

Stuff like the subframe in the back is too complicated to weld up, so when it rusts out, it's easier to replace than fix. It's easy to pack a stripped subframe in the back of the Outback to bring home, not so easy to buy a cheap wagon and drive/ fix it the whole way home. When I do get a western car, it's going to be a 3-door. I'll EJ+AWD it and keep it out of the woods.

The salvage yards out here are being dinks, they won't let me scout the yard, and they say they'll take a look and never do. WTF? how is that a way to make money?

Soo... there's a 89 T-wagon for sale in Saratoga, about 3 hours away. For the $160 I'm tempted to take the cummins and the trailer down and pick it up, strip it and junk it, but I'm not sure i'll have the will to cut the good chunks out of the body for patching mine. Says it has a good T-motor in it, bad tranny.

yeah the yards there are like that but of course, its for good reason too. All the yards in Laramie have had lots stolen from them by tech students. They used to let people into the yard, they'd take a look and come back in the middle of the night and steal it. Apparently, Ace Salvage lost a couple cars one night from it:eek:

Get with Bill, I know he's pretty good friends with the owner of the place and him and I went walkin through there a couple times just checking out everything.