Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there a Magnet inside the Tranny pan??

Just wondering if the 2000+ subarus have a magnet secured to the inside of the tranny pan, like some of the older gm or ford cars

I pulled the pan on a 96 legacy last year and it had a big round magnet in it. I was very surprised to see it. In 96 they didn't have the external filter though. I'm not sure when they got the external filter, but one could speculate that they may have gotten rid of the magnet when they did that.

Keith

The drain plugs are magnetic. I know the phase I 4EAT does have the magnet in the pan as well. Not sure about the phase II, but it probably does. The phase II, which started in ~99MY has the external filter. (Earlier phase I 4eats did not, unless they had the Subaru filter kit installed).

Every Subie pain I've dropped 88-96 XT6, Legacy, Imp and SVX had a mag in it. I don't think any of the bolts had much magnetic strength but that doesn't me they didn't have any. If I remember right there is a little punched out area for where the mag. goes so my guess is if the later ones have that punched steel area they'd have'm too.

aren't the drain plugs magnetic?
Thats what I thought until I changed the tranny oil on my 01 outback..the plug looks identical to the oil drain plug which of course is not magnetic..so, if the tranny plug is not magnetic, then I am asumming that the last owner exchanged it,(highly unlikely)... just maybe, there is a magnet inside the pan which needs to be cleaned every so often,(contrary to just drain and flush) or does the external filter take the place of not having a magnet anywhere...would the internal parts of the tranny that "wear and tear" be made of non-magnetic material

Thats what I thought until I changed the tranny oil on my 01 outback..the plug looks identical to the oil drain plug which of course is not magnetic..so, if the tranny plug is not magnetic, then I am asumming that the last owner exchanged it,(highly unlikely)... just maybe, there is a magnet inside the pan which needs to be cleaned every so often,(contrary to just drain and flush) or does the external filter take the place of not having a magnet anywhere...would the internal parts of the tranny that "wear and tear" be made of non-magnetic material

You have many things inside the tranny that will shed material. Thats how AAMCO and other tranny places scare people. They show you all the debree in the pan, which is normal.

Magnets are good ideas, but they dont need periodic cleaning The external filter will trap all non ferrous materials. IN all honesty, as long as there are no large chunks, there is nothing to worry about.

nipper