Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm going to drop the rebuilt motor into my wife's 96 outback this weekend. I noticed that there is a tag telling me to open the bleeder when I fill the cooling system to prevent any air bubbles. Does anyone know where this bleeder is?

If not, what is the best way to fill the system to prevent air locks in the passages?

Thanks

Right on. The '96 rad should have the bleeder. The later style Subaru rad's that have the block outlet to the rad kind of in the center top of the rad don't have a bleed plug.

There are lots of ways to refill the coolant without trapping air bubbles. I've been using the vacuum fill method, but there are several other methods.

THOSE WHO USE THE OLE TIMERS METHOD SWEAR BY IT. fill the system, turn the car on and let it idle with the radiator cap off til it comes up to normal temp and the t-stat opens, add coolant as it drops in the radiator. fill over flow to cold full line. install both caps and you're good.

doing this with the front of the car a little up hill will help.