Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone have 97 impreza sport with front ashtray??

If you do could you take pictures of the mounting for the front ashtray?

I have been running an ashtray in the cup holder for a long time and am really tired of it.

I have been looking for over a year at all the junk yards around here for an ashtray, even had Jason at 1stsubaruparts.com send me a new one, but it didn't have the mount.

So I'm gonna make something to fit it in there....I think:-\

Pictures or at least a discription of where it mounts and stuff would be helpful.

Here is a picture of what I have now.

TIA

Hush

The ashtray simply snaps into the trim bezel, which also holds the lighter socket. If you remove it, there's just a hole.

The bezel itself appears to be mounted by its sides to the metal frame for the radio, it's DIN-sized. Is the bezel different between smoker and non-smoker versions? I have a '95 with a "smoker" version of the same center console. They didn't have a non-smoker version then. Incidentally, my minivan has an optional smoker kit, with two ashtrays in the back for the kids.

The ashtray does not go where you have pointed. It goes beside the lighter. That coin tray is in it's spot.

On cars with an ashtray, you get an actual lighter and not a 12V plug with a cover.

The 1993-1996 Imprezas all had ashtrays/lighters and they will fit your car.

Todd

Even though I have the ashtray I do not have the mount for it.

I would be willing to trade to someone the stuff in the yellow box for the same area out of one of your cars.

I think for the ashtray to fit in that area I would need the other cigarette lighter also. The ashtray that I got would fit in that area but it is a little tight on the sides.

Hush

P.S. I would pay shipping for both (yours and mine)

I'll have to double check and see if this will work or not. On my '98 the ashtray is mounted in the bezel itself, so we'd have to swap bezels.

After looking at that picture again, it looks a little different than mine and I'm not sure it would fit right. I'll look again in the daylight.

Looks like the bezel/housing has to be swapped anyway. But as long as it's of standard (single DIN) size, it should fit. It's mounted in the same way as the big storage pocket or the radio, that is, to access the screws, you need to slide out the radio bracket. Send him the ashtray, too, in case '98 is different from '97.

PS: Does the ashtray still not fit after you remove the bin?

I jsut wanted the number to help clear the confusion. I thought the ashtray you got was same as mine, and was wondering why it wouldn't fit. I can tell you the p/n listed for 1993-96, it's 66610FA000. I believe you need the same part.

I have been running an ashtray in the cup holder for a long time and am really tired of it.

I have been looking for over a year at all the junk yards around here for an ashtray, even had Jason at 1stsubaruparts.com send me a new one, but it didn't have the mount.

Pictures or at least a discription of where it mounts and stuff would be helpful.

TIA

Hush

I just replaced my entire center console, I wasn't able to find the parts used so I bought them from http://www.subaru-parts-dealer.com/ they have detailed line drawings so it should be easy to see how it assembles. Yours is virtually identical to my own.

The ash tray goes just above where your arrow is next to the lighter, and should just slide into place. I have before, & after photo's at http://starguard.zoints.com/album/?aid=1216 and now here at my photo gallery.

Assembly was easy!

That's a standard Trademotion catalog. Unfortunately it's not complete, and doesn't show part numbers,

although you can use them when searching. For example, it doesn't show the non-smoker version of this

console.

I called Jason and he sent me this picture of how things mount.

By looking at the picture it seems to me that the ash tray just pops in place where the cubby is.

He wasn't sure and is ordering the surround (66268B)and an ashtray (66160) to look at them.

I need to call him in the morning and check on what he found.

Hush

On the parts diagram, it looks like the "non-smoking" bin, 66123*C, simply snaps into the same housing, in place of the ashtray, 66160. The picture shows a RHD console, but there is only one housing otherwise. I believe you just need the correct ashtray, and a lighter.

I believe the p/n for the bin is 66511FA080.

TIA

Hush

At least you are intelligent enough to USE an ashtray, pisses me off when I'm driving and I see some inconsiderate %*% toss their cig out the window.... I had some lady toss hers out of her SUV once and landed on the hood of my car, I asked her to use her ash tray and not litter and she was like no it'll stink up my car... I was like well then why don't you just not smoke in it? and drove off :-P

• 2 weeks later...