Ultimate Subaru Message Board

You can alway's tell a SUBARU engine by sound!

You can alway's tell a Subaru engine before you see the car!!! Weather it's a turbo or non-turbo you can just tell!! I think it's the sound of the lifters or something! Because even new 2007 SUBARU's have a lifter sound! Like the Forester, or Outback! It's weird??

Problem with honda drivers is they never rev her up to 8k... It's almost like they are scared.. But thats the only time those hondas really do fly and sound great.

My integra got to see 8500 on a multiple time a day basis. LOL.

You can alway's tell a Subaru engine before you see the car!!! Weather it's a turbo or non-turbo you can just tell!! I think it's the sound of the lifters or something! Because even new 2007 SUBARU's have a lifter sound! Like the Forester, or Outback! It's weird??

i noticed that today on my baja, damn lifters. lol or maybe it is theheat sheild, oh well it is a subaru....tick away.....:lol:

i ws up in tahoe with my buddy and we were walking down to the store from his house, and everytime a car was coming up behind me, every once and i while i'd say "subaru!" without looking, and sure enough, an old GL or an outback would roll on by.:banana:

the subaru kid

-Dalton

personally, I LOVE the sound of a well built honda engine being driven at threshold... its like no other engine on earth, really...

..but the PROBLEM is, for every well built and tuned honda engine on the planet, theres about twenty poorly built and tuned honda engines, with godawful exhausts on them that try to make it sound like either a big I6 or a rotary engine... instead of a hi-po four. For every decently set up honda engine on the STREET (most of the good ones are in race cars) the "craptastic" number is probably more like 100.

So don't sell honda short because they sold cars to people who were ignorant :grin:

as for the "why" on the sound, its simple: its a boxer, how often do you even hear a V-4 in an automobile? Outboard motors are the first example I could think of. Its simply a class of engine to itself, so it sounds unlike any inline or V6 or V8 or rotary or whatever other engine configuration you run.

It has nothing to do with lifters, they are radically different across the production span.. pre-82 non turbo models had solid lifters instead of hydraulic, which is totally different technology that SOUNDS totally different, but the exhaust note still has commonality. thats all.

personally, I LOVE the sound of a well built honda engine being driven at threshold... its like no other engine on earth, really...

..but the PROBLEM is, for every well built and tuned honda engine on the planet, theres about twenty poorly built and tuned honda engines, with godawful exhausts on them that try to make it sound like either a big I6 or a rotary engine... instead of a hi-po four. For every decently set up honda engine on the STREET (most of the good ones are in race cars) the "craptastic" number is probably more like 100.

So don't sell honda short because they sold cars to people who were ignorant :grin:

as for the "why" on the sound, its simple: its a boxer, how often do you even hear a V-4 in an automobile? Outboard motors are the first example I could think of. Its simply a class of engine to itself, so it sounds unlike any inline or V6 or V8 or rotary or whatever other engine configuration you run.

It has nothing to do with lifters, they are radically different across the production span.. pre-82 non turbo models had solid lifters instead of hydraulic, which is totally different technology that SOUNDS totally different, but the exhaust note still has commonality. thats all.

i disagree hondas sound nothing like the chainsaw-cutting-through-a-tin-roof of a poorly muffled rotary. :eek:

speaking of v4 id love a Honda RC45 :)

i disagree hondas sound nothing like the chainsaw-cutting-through-a-tin-roof of a poorly muffled rotary. :eek:

speaking of v4 id love a Honda RC45 :)

We disagree on nothing; I only said that it sounds like that its what these kids are trying for.. either a Z or a Mazda sound. maybe its just an old skool jap car bias showing up :brow:

In any case it usually sounds like crap. Nothing will turn my head quicker than a "right" sounding honda exhaust though.. I am always guilty for snapping around like that at a honda, but when theyre built well they scream with a note that begs to be revved higher.

It isn't my favorite, it is just something I appreciate. A great motor is a great motor, even if its in a pinto.

Phiz is right it's cos you fire two bangs down one header and then two down the other.

There's different amounts of scavenging depending on whether there's a charge running down the header or not, and therefore a different sound.

I used to have a 2.0 V4 - in a mk1 ford transit.

how about no-lenght headers? the motor will still sound the same with no Y-pipe at all, open ports, but more like a misfire and running underwater. the valves and the siamese ports make a blip-blurp sound as the firing order fires both piston on the same bank almost simultaneously alternately.

that is why blown exhaust gaskets sound like a misfire or the car has a harley type sound to it.

Anyways, What truly makes the Subaru sound that we know is the un-Even header Lengths, If you get an Equal lenth header, It will make it sound different, almost but not quite, like any other 4 banger

I have heard it called the boxer growl.

It's funny b/c whenever I have wrenching days at my place, you always know when there is a Soob driving up and down my street looking for the place b/c of the growl. :banana:

I usually go to a Friday night meet w/some WRX's I wonder how it would sound to have 10 boxer motors all revving at the same time. :headbang:

BW

Yeah i love the sound of the Boxer engine!! Nothing else like it!!

But it's still werid even brand new Boxers like in a Outback or Forester they all have a tick!! And that's what makes a subaru, A subaru! I think another resin Boxer's are so easy to notis is because of the displacement! It give's you that "Blrum-blrum" on the turbo's ones!

Hey BTW has anyone read the spec's for the new WRX in Motor-trend?? It say's the engine type is a Flat-4!?:eek: Is that a type-o?? What happend to the Horazontaly opposed???

Hey BTW has anyone read the spec's for the new WRX in Motor-trend?? It say's the engine type is a Flat-4!?:eek: Is that a type-o?? What happend to the Horazontaly opposed???

Flat, boxer, horizontally opposed, pancake. All just terms for engines with 2 cylinder banks in the same plane and a crank between them.(although *pancake* ussually reffers to a specific model of VW flat-4)