Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seafoam Fear

Ive got it ive got the can. sitting in the back of my wagon. i am so worried about useing this stuff. it could help or hirt alot. i just read somewhere about having old fuel lines seafoam would cause them to leak. put it into the intake and it caUSES a blown headgasket. put it into the crankcase and causes bigger oil leakes. my car runs ok but thats definately better then worse or not at all. just thinking about leaving it alone and trying the maf cleaner.

ben

I've never had any issues with Seafoam and older Subarus. I've used two cans on one car, one can through the carb on my old '78 Bronco and on other cars. Put some through the intake like through a vac lin so it hits the intake, put some into the gas to help it continue and then put some into the oil but let it run for 20 minutes, shut it off and then change it. When I did it to my Bronco, I revved it and poured it through the carb and got a huuuuge cloud of nasty smoke through the exhaust and after that, it ran much smoother and had a little more umph.

If your crankcase is full of sludge, pretty much any type of "engine cleaner" is apt to lead to leaks..disolve the sludge dams and there's nothin' left to hold the oil in, sometimes.

As for the other worries, they're fictional..

Assuming you've got enough sense to not hydro-lock your engine by dumping too much liquid in too quickly, there's no way you'll blow a head gasket with this stuff.

Likewise, if you dilute properly with a full tank of fuel, there's no way the stuff has the corrosive strength to eat thru fuel lines.

SeaFoam & Marvel Mystery Oil are about the only "snake oil" potions that have my trust..there's no magic to 'em, they are simply solvents..but ya can prolly get the same results with a like-sized can of kerosene.

Well, There arnt too many fuel lines to replace and its not a big deal to replace them but I do see your concearn about having to replace something that worked perfectly before, but Fuel line should, note Should, be fairly in expensive and as long as you have 1/4th a brain you can easily replace it, so Why not go for it....!!!! I would definately watch out for increased leaks, and get a list of all of the gaskets that you need and knock them all out in a one two punchlist. This of course is only if it makes your car leak! hope it helps

Oh and seafoam is a DE-gunk of sorts, Its much more potent and can be used in numerous areas of the car, Degunk only works in the oil for instance...

Would someone please tell me a bad experience they have had with Seafoam????

Please?

I have never heard of one, other than hearing of people who have heard of one. If anyone has had one, I would love to hear of it; I trust it nearly implicitly, so if there is something I should know I would LOVE to hear it.

I use seafoam religously...on all 3 of my cars..without ever having any issues what so ever..and my oldest is a 20 y/o also....yes it has a new motor but everything else on it is ..20 y/o.

Having the car working better is alittle more important than that little oil leak that they all have anyway.

seafoam is not the problem. engines are fairly robust machines, adding an appropriate amount of seafoam to a perfect condition engine will not hurt anything, period. experience contrary to that are anecdotal and don't prove anything about seafoam. people often start dumping stuff in their motors (or transmissions, fuel system, power steering, etc) when something is wrong and hope for an easy fix. if an engine has issues and you add seafoam and it breaks...the logical conclusion is NOT that seafoam caused it. it's that the engine had issues to begin with! if seafoam "causes" issues, the issues were soon in coming anyway, so there's really no loss.

Sea foam rocks, i use it in the crank case as an engine cleaner, get the engine warm, and add it, run at low rpms for about 1/2 hour, than change the oil. it does clean sludge, and it quieted a stuck lifter, in another engine for me as well. does anyone know where i can get a 55 gal drum, maby Sam's club ???

Sea foam rocks, i use it in the crank case as an engine cleaner, get the engine warm, and add it, run at low rpms for about 1/2 hour, than change the oil. it does clean sludge, and it quieted a stuck lifter, in another engine for me as well. does anyone know where i can get a 55 gal drum, maby Sam's club ???

Heck, I ran it for about 2,000 miles last time I added it to my oil. When I pulled my heads, (i think that the sea foam was still in the oil at the time actually) the insides of the engine were rather varnishy, but no gunk to speak of.. just carbonic deposits in the combustion chambers. Some wire brushing and a hot tank cleared THAT up, heh.

And honestly, I am trying not to be a prick.. but seriously; I am waiting for someone to relate a personal bad experience with seafoam or any similar product. you can take that as evidence that they don't actually come up all that often; as was said above, by FAR the most common "problem brought to light" by sea foam is a simple oil leak, and what ssubaru doesn't have like sixty of those? :-p

If it breaks I will come fix it, so long as you pay for the trip Feed me, and tell me that I am awasome!!! oh and you do my entire senior high school year of homework!!!

you think thats funny i might be in your neck of the woods in a month or so. my company has a plant in scotsdale az that are in trouble and want to send people there to help. while im driving the rental car furnished for me ill give you my plane ticket money and u can pimp my ride lol

ok added seafoam to the gas tank tonight. also cleaned the maf (didnt notice a difference well see tomorrow) and added coolant to the resavor from my new kick butt overflow tank cap furnished buy mcbrat:headbang:

ben