Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weber carb problems..still

Ive been living with this problem all summer now and its getting tiring. My weber seems to hessitate and start sputtering at around 2000 rpms but once im past that its fine. And coming off idle it doesnt have noticable hessitation. But since its at that rpm everytime im in gear and take my foot off the gas and put it back on the car bucks back and forth till i give it more gas then it gets past that hessitation and stops. Its very frustrating. I wish i hadnt spent the money on this stupid carburator.

My question is what could be the problem? There was some fuel seepage from the base gasket so it got tightened down and i check every once in awhile after and its always dry now. Also i tried carb cleaner and it didnt make a difference in idle when i sprayed it on the base. I am also still using the EGR valve but i disconnected that and it didnt seem to make a difference in the problem either. The timing is set around 9 degrees and the ive played with the idle mixture a few times and it doesnt seem to get rid of this problem. I just started to notice a slight exhaust leak in front of my first cat. I have two cats back to back on the exhaust so there is another possible problem but i dont think so. Im beginning to wonder if this carburator is jetted properly. It came in the kit so it should have been jetted right.

I've played with the idle mixture a few times and it doesn't seem to get rid of this problem

Do you have idle control when you "play" with the idle control screw? (slow down, speed up, slow down: lean, normal, rich)

Is the vacuum advance in the distributor working? or hooked to the right spot?

With the car not running, and the air cleaner off, looking down the throat of the carb, do you get a shot of fuel when you manually open the throttle?

Is there an easy way to tell if im getting a shot of fuel? I looked down the carb and at idle and off idle i dont see much fuel coming through..if any but i kno there must be some. Once i get past the hessitation problem i see a good stream of it. Im pretty sure this is my problem. But i dont understand. This is a new carb. Not a rebuilt or anything but brand new.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had another thought as to the solution to the problem. When i installed the weber i switched the fuel line fitting from the hitachi (the one with the fuel line as well as a fuel return) to the weber. Im wondering could that return line be causing the problem since the weber did not have one to begin with? Could it be that the carb is getting too little pressure cause the pressure that it is getting is being "bled" off to the fuel return?

Yes, I have an Opinion.

Since I have a Weber pretty well installed in my White Wagon (visit this Thread for more Details, Ideas... etc: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53143 ) I can imagine what is Happenin` to your Weber, but maybe I`ll need more feedback to help you.

I did installed a Brand new Weber too... Without the Gas Return line, I don`t have any issues with Low Rpm`s, so I guess that Might be that Return line the wrong setup, that is affecting your carb`s performance.

I suggest you to Try puttin` back to the Carb`s its original fuel line fitting, forget about the Return (Just cap close it) and Drive it Again.

Please, post here the Results.

Weberized EA Engines have Better Low End Power / Torque, so I think there will be a Setup Problem.

Good Luck! :burnout:

Ive been living with this problem all summer now and its getting tiring. My weber seems to hessitate and start sputtering at around 2000 rpms but once im past that its fine. And coming off idle it doesnt have noticable hessitation. But since its at that rpm everytime im in gear and take my foot off the gas and put it back on the car bucks back and forth till i give it more gas then it gets past that hessitation and stops.

http://www.theautoist.com/weber_carb.htm

This specifically addresses hesitation of Weber carbs and how to fix it. Good luck.