Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil eaters

How many peoples car's here will eat an entire oil change in a week. Just did an oil change on the 23rd of this month and now it's the 30th and it has eaten all of it. Dropped the pan and there was barley anything left in it. I knew I had a leak but not like that:eek:

replace the pcv valave.

Wash the engine top and bottom then drive it for a few days, check for leaks. When you park it slide a large peice of cardboard under the engine and look for drips.

Some subaru leaks are really hard to trace.

nipper

The only way I will be able to clean the bottom side is if it's on it's side or upside down. The entire bottom is covered in oil. I know the oil leak is somewhere on the right side and is dripping onto the cover and running to the left and falling to the ground. I have a piece of cardboard under my car to soak up all the oil that it has left on the driveway, parents will only let me park in 1 spot now from the leak. I do have a cel from the pcv. But the passenger side boots both inner and outer are torn, rear hatch handle broke, now a major oil leak. Was already planning on looking at getting a Imp but I might move that up to take it's place and make the Loyale a project for the time being.

No. Get a can of engine cleaner and go to a do it yourself car wash. Even if you were to take it to a mechanic the first thing to be done is to clean the engine. Now you can do it, or get charged for a mechanic to do it.

You have a big external leak that you need to find, or you might as well kiss your engine goodbye. If you have a replacement car ready, then there is your answer. Just dont get stranded.

nipper

Yeah something is up, If you clean it off spray degreaser remember rubber can be replaced!! your engine is a more challenging story! So sacrifice the Rubber and Douse it with degreaser and let it sit for 5-10 minutes (but within reason try not to soak rubber and wires) then use the super sprayguns at the drive in car washes!!!! and fire it up and if its big enough youll see it right away if not then take it home and do a more thorough check.

Check you valve cover gaskets too but, this kinda could one of the Main seals I belive what do you guys think? Also If oil is everwhere check your Tbelt because oil and rubber dont like to mix too much!!! oh wait its not interference, so screw it:lol:

If I'm outside after 9pm neibors call police on me(so far at least a dozen times) I do get pressure to register when it first starts it's like at 70 then after it warms up it drops to about 30 or so. Only lights I have is CEL for the pcv and the button for the door saying it's closed on passenger side. When I got this car about a year ago the mech which I have known my whole life and family has know for 25+ years said the car was fine execpt for the rust on it.

You're oil presure sounds about right for the ea82. So the pump isn't the problem. Are you absolutely sure the cel is for the pcv, have you check the codes. I don't recall there being a dedicated pcv code. But I could be wrong. Either way replacing the valve would be a good first step.

It does a code 35 and thats what I found on a code post on this site listing for the ea82 Loyale wagon. How would I change the pcv I have no idea how:confused: All I know it's a little black box in the middle of a bunch of tubes.

That almost sounds more like the purge control sylinoid..not the pcv valve..and off the top of my head I believe thats what code 35 is..Purge Control sylinoid..I know 34 is ERG syliniod...both units look alike and both are common failure points on EA82s..you can try used ones from JYs or bite the bullet ( like I did ) and buy a new one ...alittle over $100 dealer part. This part wouldnt be causing you to loose oil.

the PCV Valve is different..and yes its a $6 part and would take all of 5 minutes to change. One other thing to check..open your air box..make sure there isnt oil in it..if there is its a sign of bad PCV Valve or a clogged breather line to the block ( just pull the hoses that go from the snorkle to the block ..make sure they are clear)

There IS no PCV valve code for the EA82 :lol:

Your oil pressure sounds OK, but I'd recommend resealing the oil pump, it's prone to blow out the seals sometime or another, then you get the TOD... After resealing my oil pump, mine sits at 45-50 hot.

I had an ER27 that blew the headgasket and decided to only leak oil out and all over everything... it COULD be possible. Rear main is also a possibility, but my experience wasn't too bad with rear mains, it didnt leak a whole oil change in a week, thats for sure... Plus, you'd KNOW the rear main went, because the oil would hit the exhaust :eek:

OEM on the PCV valve when you replace it!

There IS no PCV valve code for the EA82 :lol:

Your oil pressure sounds OK, but I'd recommend resealing the oil pump, it's prone to blow out the seals sometime or another, then you get the TOD... After resealing my oil pump, mine sits at 45-50 hot.

I had an ER27 that blew the headgasket and decided to only leak oil out and all over everything... it COULD be possible. Rear main is also a possibility, but my experience wasn't too bad with rear mains, it didnt leak a whole oil change in a week, thats for sure... Plus, you'd KNOW the rear main went, because the oil would hit the exhaust :eek:

OEM on the PCV valve when you replace it!

Thats why i was asking about a cloud.

First thing first is clean the engine, i bet it wil be really obvious then. Second is file a complaint against your neighboors for harasement.

nipper

Seems like you're saying that it leaks oil, not burns it. My bet is a leaky pan, front main, camshafts seal, oil pump shaft seal, or any combination. I would save up for all the seals and a timing belt set and do the whole front of the motor. Tighten all the oil pan bolts(you can get the back row ones either with a long Phillips through the holes in the x-member or just use a 10mm socket with swivel and extension)

You may have some burning of the oil, but if it was really burning that much you'd have bad smoke and terrible performance.

Code 34 is the Purge Control Solenoid, not the PCV valve.

First thing first is clean the engine, i bet it wil be really obvious then. Second is file a complaint against your neighboors for harasement.

Salt lake has very strict codes about what you can and can't do and at what times. I doubt his complaint would fall on sympathetic ears.

Ya the time code says nothing major after 10pm but this is like 8pm, most of the time when the police show up they just say to ignore them and not worry about anything. Ya it's the purge control sylinoid not the pcv. And it's leaking not burning it unless it hits the catalic. I went out last night in a diffrent car to check on something the road I used to come home on from work had a streak from where I had been. As for the air filter the only dirty spot on it is right where the air moves to the intake and it's barley a diffrent color from the rest, it was changed about 3months ago and is white.