Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just curious, I just finnished resealing the engine for my wifes 96 outback and I was wondering if the oil pump can be resealed like we do for the ea82 motors? Is this an issue with these engines? If they can be rebuilt, where do I get the kit from?

Thanks

By the way the car is running like a champ, but one lifter is stuck a bit. Not bad, just lost pressure from sitting for two weeks. I'm going to put in some seafoam and see if that gets rid of the gunk.

Mike

Yes the oil pump can be resealed. Permatex ultra grey is something Subaru mentioned can be used instead of whatever special fujibond or threebond they specified. There is an o-ring at the pump discharge to block interface that would be replaced at this time. And the screws for the rear case that covers the rotors can be checked for loosening/backing out.

If you want to rebuild it, you can get just the matched rotor set for the pump. Generally just a new pump is purchased though if the clearances are out of spec.

Some have reported marvel mystery oil working to help free up the lifters.