Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 GL XT 4wd... Its here... Fixed on page 3...

Alright, my interpretation of the ohm meter was flawed. There is a definitel dicontinueity somewhere between pins 49 & 50 and injectors 1 and 2. To test the theory I temorarilly tapped into the wires directly off the ecu, and ran them to each injector. The car fired on all four, probably for the first time in years. AH its a beautiful sound to hear.

Now, would it be best to run new wiring from the ecu, properly soldering the connections. And using the same gauge wire(looks to be 14 or 12 ga but I'll be sure before doing anything) or to try and track down the break and repair there?

Either method should do the trick bratman. Having seen the wiring harness diagrams in the FSM's I'd run new wiring!! The XT is one big ball of wires! (Ok so it's a wedge of wire)

I'm not sure if there's a repinning kit for subies, but that'd be the best solution. To pull out the affected pins from the harness, crimp on new terminals & reinstall.

I believe the pins are ok, but I'll check into finding some at various places. I've got the carpet pulled out, and all but the driver's seat out, and I followed the wiring up to where I can reach under the dash. Just think... If that old guy I got the car from had internet I wouldn't have an XT now

The wires for the injectors continue out thru the firewall. I'd check the connector for the wire loom under the hood. There's 2 of them there, and I can't recall what color the one you need is, but it'll be the one that the engine wiring loom plugs into.

I believe the pins are ok, but I'll check into finding some at various places. I've got the carpet pulled out, and all but the driver's seat out, and I followed the wiring up to where I can reach under the dash. Just think... If that old guy I got the car from had internet I wouldn't have an XT now

Shannon..the offer still stands...if you need to barrow my FSMs for any reason... let me know and I will get them out to you.

Thanks Connie, I think for this part of the quest the diagrams that Gloyale posted here, and the one that ElroyJetson posted on the temp site have gotten me through the task. I'll definately keep your offer in mind if something else comes up.

I wasn't going to be happy until I found exactly where it failed... So I started using some jumpers from the ecu plug to different sections of the factory harness. I found it to be a corroded connection where the two white wires join together.

2007_0824xt0001.jpg

2007_0824xt0002.jpg

I cut out a few inches of the wiring, and spliced and soldered in replacement. And heat shrink tubing covered and taped the hell out of it. So now all is well, no cel's and purrs like a kitten...

I'm actually amazed at the absence of tod:eek:

So glad to here you fixed it. I was going to suggest checking the junction where the 2 wires merge. I had a power window problem one time that was because of excactly the same type of corroded connection, where the factory wires are crimped/spliced for junctions. Sounds awesome too, I want to put XT dual tip muffler on my GL.