Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New 88'

Thanks to 86Subaru i am the pround owner of a new to me 88dl with 4wd d/r.

YAY!!!!

I love this little car! Yesterday i dollied it home the 1.5 hours and then put gas in it, checked the fluids, tires and such and then drove it 35 miles. :)

It has some mangaeable rust on the body but none where it counts. He gave me enough parts to keep it going for a long time too.

Thanks again Jim. I absolutly love it.

dl016Medium.jpg

dl004Medium.jpg

dl003Medium.jpg

dl002Medium.jpg

1 of the tow vehicle(it deserves it) it' a great old truck. 91 chevy, I got it 5 years ago for $2k :)with 87,000 miles, it now has 96,000. 4x4 and 3/4 ton. It sucks on the gas mph but when i have projects around the house or need a car towed it works flawlessly. I was gonna borrow a friends truck that gets waayyy better mpg but he wanted 2 tanks of gas :-\ for the favor.

Plus my legacy and my buddies loyale.

dl001Medium.jpg

Jim told me he had sold it, and now he's down to just 2 Subarus.

Good car.. Jim has always taken good care of any he owned. I've wrenched on a couple of them with him. My last trip to his place was back in February '07. Man was it cold and windy that weekend. BRRRR!!!!!

Enjoy!!!!

Kinda looks strange not to see a half dozen or so 'Ru's in his driveway......

Nice!! now pull the gauge cluster, insert an oil pressure, water temperature, and voltage gauge, and you will be set!! AC, by any chance?? I like the quad headlight look, and that grille, over the more loyale style look of the GLs of the same period.

Nice!! now pull the gauge cluster, insert an oil pressure, water temperature, and voltage gauge, and you will be set!! AC, by any chance?? I like the quad headlight look, and that grille, over the more loyale style look of the GLs of the same period.

thanks for the comments! I am really addicted to driving it.

cold ac and oil pressure gauge already installed. I take it the stock coolant temp gauge sucks?

I like the 4 headlights too! My buddy with the red loyal pictured above wanted to trade me headlight assemblies.... I of course said no. :)

That's the most optioned out DL I've ever seen! Roof rack, oval wheels, D/R and AC?! It's got a passenger side door mirror! Does it have split fold down rear seat? Don't even tell me it has power windows. That's just about the perfect Suby.

I'm with Gloyale, we had an 89 DL once, it had a/c and p/s but it had the s/r push button 4wd, has somebody swapped it?

Yes, it was a fwd 5spd. Jim did awesome on the swap job. It also has the split rear seat but no power windows and locks.

I was gonna borrow a friends truck that gets waayyy better mpg but he wanted 2 tanks of gas :-\ for the favor.

doesn't sound like much of a friend... people should be happy to get their vehicle back with a full tank of gas (instead of just refilling what you used)...

for the price of a tank of gas you could rent a truck from UHaul or Home Depot...

--Spiffy

doesn't sound like much of a friend... people should be happy to get their vehicle back with a full tank of gas (instead of just refilling what you used)...

for the price of a tank of gas you could rent a truck from UHaul or Home Depot...

--Spiffy

Thats why i just used mine. He said it was on e and i'd need to fill it before i left and then put back what i used and return it to him full. It would have been a tank and a half. I used $40 worth on my truck. I just figured his would be cheaper but he was giving me a hassle on the time line too. He does not even drive it but for some reason he needed it the day that i needed it. I think he didn't want me borrowing it and just would'nt come out and say it. Oh well.

Yes, it was a fwd 5spd. Jim did awesome on the swap job. It also has the split rear seat but no power windows and locks.

Jim and Miles Fox did the swap. I was to be there for it, but had to work. I so wanted to be involved as I have one here I'm wanting to do the swap on and wanted to see how things were done.

Believe me, if Jim would've had the parts, it would've got the power windows and locks. Kinda suprized that he didn't have them though. If an area of his house wasn't needed for "living area" it was used to store parts. A true Subaru nut!!!! :headbang:

Jim and Miles Fox did the swap. I was to be there for it, but had to work. I so wanted to be involved as I have one here I'm wanting to do the swap on and wanted to see how things were done.

Believe me, if Jim would've had the parts, it would've got the power windows and locks. Kinda suprized that he didn't have them though. If an area of his house wasn't needed for "living area" it was used to store parts. A true Subaru nut!!!! :headbang:

I may convert it. He gave me a white door for the passenger side. It's a power door. :)

Jim and Miles did a great job on the swap. Everything fits like factory.

And yes he is a subie nut. You can tell he really loves his subies. He takes good care of them.

I did some work on it yesterday. I cleaned the wheels with NAPA aluminum wheel cleaner. They look awesome now.

dl001Medium-1.jpg

dl002Medium-1.jpg

The pics are of two different wheels but the before pic was the best , and the after was one of the worst. I also did plugs and wires. It runs quite a bit smoother now.