Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just about fell over... Stereo Wiring...

Sitting here taking a break and I was looking at crutchfield. They have the correct wiring for a stereo install in the ea81 cars. I remember looking a while back and the had nothing right at all for us....

If you are interested...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Cb8zYUdEobg/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=103000&tab=morephotos&pi=1&i=120701652&display=L#Tab

Dont anyone buy it. Its set up for a common ground..like what subaru used. The system subaru used was fine when receivers were putting out 5-8 watts but todays put out 20-30 watts rms and need individual grounds for each speaker. Its best to only use the ground and power wire in the original harness and run new wire to each speaker. I kno it sounds like a pain but you'll thank me in the long run when you stereo sounds good.

You could honestly get by without the second part listed. Just don't use the wires in the harness for the speakers, or at least not for two of them. I just couldn't believe that there is something made for these stock plugs. I argued for an hour with the radio shack guy about the wiring harness he tried to sell me for my Brat some years back.

I like how simple words are mispelled IN THE SECOND LINK... and if you are still leasing an 80's Subaru, you have some other issues other than lack of decent sound system. :lol:

Sorry, left out a couple of key words. There are mispellings and in an attempt to sell these kits they say its easier to turn in with the OEM radio for a lease. That makes sense on a lot of cars but would be interesting if someone was still leasing a Subaru from the '80s!

Its best to only use the ground and power wire in the original harness and run new wire to each speaker. I kno it sounds like a pain but you'll thank me in the long run when you stereo sounds good.

No need to run new speaker wire to all 4 speakers. I run new wire for the fronts, as far as the doorjamb. Then I fit connectors to plug into the stock speaker wires for each front door. I leave the rest of the wiring intact, with the stock wires still driving the rear speakers. This way I only need 2 short speaker wires and I don't have to pull up any door trim or panels.

Sorry, left out a couple of key words. There are mispellings and in an attempt to sell these kits they say its easier to turn in with the OEM radio for a lease. That makes sense on a lot of cars but would be interesting if someone was still leasing a Subaru from the '80s!

LOL, I definately missed that one...

And to run the wires to where they can't be seen, tuck them up behend the glove box on the right and lower kick panel of the left. Then there should be a stock rubber tube between the door and body. Stuff the new wire through there.

How did you run the wire for the front speakers, so they don't show?

Just tucked up well under the dash with zip ties. pull the 2 small kick panels(1 at each side) Locate the bunch of connector that go into the body and through the pillar and into the door, and find the small 2 pin connector with a white and a blue wire on the door harness side. IIRC Always a pink connector. Just put matching spade connector(or scavenge a matching connector out of "Box O'Harness") onto you're new speaker wire and plug it in there.

W = Pos, Blue = Neg.

Since the stock wireing is unplugged form the front speakers, there is no need to alter stock wiring. Should you want to go back to stock(?), you can plug the stock wiring back in at the pink connector.

Edit: This is for EA82 with speakers in door. I imagine the same thing can be done with the EA81 system W/ in dash speaker. Just nevermind the pink connector stuff. Just wire directly to speaker. Or do they have a pigtailed connector too?

And to run the wires to where they can't be seen, tuck them up behend the glove box on the right and lower kick panel of the left. Then there should be a stock rubber tube between the door and body. Stuff the new wire through there.

No need to try this. That *tube* is taped tightly and full of other wires. It would be hard to try to stuff any new wire through it. Even if you could get to the open end of it but you can't, it goes up inside the pillar about 4 inches and then goes through a hole in the door jamb and across the gap to the door. Youd have to unplug everything in the door, and stuff the whole harness back out of the pillar to be able to feed wire through it.

See the stuff about the pink connectors in my above post.

Its been easy on my stuff to do it like I said, but I've never had one with p/w, locks, or power mirrors. Your way would be so much easier if I had.

And yes the ea81's should have a connector. But the only one with speakers in the front doors stock is the brat.

Its been easy on my stuff to do it like I said, but I've never had one with p/w, locks, or power mirrors. Your way would be so much easier if I had.

Access is probably better overall for EA81. I really only know EA82 stuff.

Box O'Harness makes everything easy!

Running speaker wire to the rear doors in an EA82 wagon is not that hard either. Just get the wire to the corners (just like you have to for the fronts) then run it under the edge of the carpet to the rear doors. A couple of plastic connectors and that comes up. You'll have to pull the b-pillar cover, but that's exactly what you do, pull it off. Then you have made it to the rear pink connectors. Just tap into those.

Running speaker wire to the rear doors in an EA82 wagon is not that hard either. Just get the wire to the corners (just like you have to for the fronts) then run it under the edge of the carpet to the rear doors. A couple of plastic connectors and that comes up. You'll have to pull the b-pillar cover, but that's exactly what you do, pull it off. Then you have made it to the rear pink connectors. Just tap into those.

Only reason not to run to the rear doors is that it takes removal of more pieces, longer wires, and from my experience even the connector for the door speakers back there are harder to access, and of a different style that are harder to disengage, and reconnect spade connectors too. And they are not pink and easy to ID.

Only reason not to run to the rear doors is that it takes removal of more pieces, longer wires, and from my experience even the connector for the door speakers back there are harder to access, and of a different style that are harder to disengage, and reconnect spade connectors too. And they are not pink and easy to ID.

I think that's simply a matter of opinion. It took maybe 10 more minutes to get the stuff out and ready to connect. I would not call it hard by any means. It all depends on what you want to do, some might not want the rear sound stage to begin with. I keep mine mostly off so they do not color the front speakers. But I like being able to play the music for rear passengers when they are in there (I adjust it).

Box O'Harness makes everything easy!

This has been simmering around in my head for some time anyhow, but you just convinced me to start bringing my big diagonal cutters with me on every "just for kicks" trip to the boneyard... because you are right. You never DO know when the right wire harness "spare parts" might come in handy..... hmmm.

Thanks.