Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 brat radiator fans not working

while in the drivethrough line at arbys (it was 5-10 minutes, the place has a high turnover rate so no one knows what they are doing) my car began to overheat, and it shot some water out through the overflow hose.

I found out that neither of my radiators fans are working (and my car doesn't have a clutched engine mounted fan)

I jumped both of the fans to the battery and they work fine, I just need to know where the fans temp sensor is located in an 84 ea81 brat.

if it is bad, should I be able to just jumper across it to make the fans run constantly, for the time being?

thank you.

oh hey, good to be back, I haven't dropped by in awhile, I have been pretty busy with college and an intenship.

You can just jump them for now so they run continually..its hot out so it wont hurt anything..thats how I run my XT6 right now.. If its like the 6 the sensor should be in the radiator..basically right where the fan plugs in...I think there may be a relay also..I read about that some time back when I was having probs

The switch for them is on the radiator, passenger's side IIRC. Jump the wires on it and see if they work, if not we'll talk relay.

Yep, it be on PS, right above the drain valve. http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/White%2086%20BRAT/?action=view&current=86BRATradiator001.jpg

Single wire thermoswitch on the EA-81, two wire one on EA-82 and ER-27 models.

Check that connector for corrosion, and good fit onto switch. Also check the jumper wire on the top cross brace of radiator to radiator support for good connections. The switch is battery - for the fan motor, and the jumper wire grounds radiator to body. Could be that the switch itself has gone bad. It is a good thing that the fans do work when jumpered.

You said "your fans don't come on", so I take it that you have AC. Do the fans come on when the AC is turned on? AC relay sends power to the DS fan, and grounds the PS fan bypassing the radiator switch, (if I've traced the wires of the harness out correctly). AC relay is the single relay closest to the PS fender in this pic. http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/82%20BRAT/?action=view&current=underthehood.jpg

ok, I found the switch, the wire has a loose fit, I stuck a jumper wire into it (the wires connector end) and grounded it at several points (including the batteries neg. terminal) nothing happened, it may have made a small spark once when I rubbed it on the neg. terminal, but no fans came on.

-------------------

"You said "your fans don't come on", so I take it that you have AC. Do the fans come on when the AC is turned on? AC relay sends power to the DS fan, and grounds the PS fan bypassing the radiator switch, (if I've traced the wires of the harness out correctly). AC relay is the single relay closest to the PS fender in this pic. http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...derthehood.jpg"

-------------------

I did have ac, but all the freon leaked out before I bought it, and I removed the compressor when the bearings on it went out.

the fans do not run with the ac turned on - there is no compressor.

do you think that having no ac compressor is messing this up?

do you have a multimeter? They dont make electrical testing easier, they make it possible, heh. The fan should definitely come on with a jumper wire installed in place of the radiator temp switch.

If you have a multimeter, I would suggest checking for continuity between the fan ground wire, and at least one side of the temp switch plug.

If all else fails, one fan should be fed fused battery power, switched on with accessories, at all times; Grounding this fan will turn it on permanently. When I installed the jumper wire in my thermoswitch plug, I was "fixing" an independently grounded wire on my electrical fan.. and it was something that I "got around to" fixing after driving it like it was for a year and a half. I live in South Florida, and leaving my fan on year round causes me no headaches or worries at all, and the last thing I ever want to do is turn it off.

ok, I got some crazy conflicting readings, and traced a wire that goes to an ac relay plug that, when connected, makes the plug that the fan plugs into have continuity across it's two contacts - so the fan won't run.

I unplugged it, and now when I jump the wire off of the temp switch to the neg terminal, the fan now runs.

I pinched the connector with pliers to make it hold better, and I am going to go get gas in it (it's low) to see if the fan runs when the car heats up.

what do you guys think of connecting it so that both fans run with each other? (paralleling the one fan with the other)

ok, I got back from the drive.

the fan works.

I do however, want to wire in the other fan so that it will run in parallel with the working one. I am going to go to an autoparts store and get some plugs and heavier guage wire so I won't have to alter the stock harness in any way.

thanks for your help.

Follow the wires from the PS fan motor, you'll find a connector. There should be another "simular" connector in that area with wires leading back to the AC relay.

Un-plug both of those connectors, and switch positions of connectors. In other words; Un-plug the connector on the wires coming from fan motor, then plug that connector into the one coming from the "main" wiring harness of the vehicle where the wires from the AC relay plugs in.

That should get the stock fan working.

And yes, you can wire both fans to run at the same time. Although, I would do the PS fan as stock, and the DS fan on a seperate switch, to be used "as needed". I've owned 4 BRATs and never had temp problems running just one fan. With that said, having a "back-up" fan coulndn't hurt.