Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Love the sound of the stock EA82!

Not to defend anyone..but my EJ18 Imp can run circles around my Loyale..and in reality..a CRX can toast a Loyale..

+1

Don't anyone get any false hopes that the EA82 is a *powerful* motor. Its not. Its a workhorse. Enough power to get it moving and keep it moving, that's about it. It however is a motor that just won't die.

Most other manufacturers were making cars in the 1980s that can run circles around our EA82s.

There is one trim level of CRX that I'd put money on the ea82... The CRX HF. 8 valve, 50hp, and gears as long a a cold winter night...

thats the model that "CRX Guys" want to get ahold of. for the record, sure, 60 hp max.. but you neglect to mention the 97 ft lbs of torque at 2200 RPM.

plus, that HF weighed in at under 1900 pounds. yes. 18 and change. Drop a stock 130 horse contemporary SOHC, 16 valve, 1.6 liter SI engine and trans in there, and watch out.. instant racecar, you want to talk about "Feels like im on a train track or in a roller coaster," NOTHING beats a well prepped CRX.

I just want to figure out a way to put an EA driveline in, switched around with the engine in the back and the gas tank and battery etc up front, with AWD. I GUESS a front engine configuration would be acceptable, but I don't pipe dream lightly heh.

Yeah the EA82 is not ment for power, But it'll get you anywhere you wanta go!! 101ft lbs @2800rpm!! It's not a ricer it was ment to go offroading/trail riding in the Aussie outback!! But you can't ask for a more reliable engine!

I will never buy a Honda! I hear there a pain to work on! Nothing else except Subaru or Land rover for me!

There is one trim level of CRX that I'd put money on the ea82... The CRX HF. 8 valve, 50hp, and gears as long a a cold winter night...

Actually the CRX HF models where a 1.5L, 12Valve, SOHC. 2 intake valves and 1 exhaust valve per cyl. 60HP. And about 200 lbs lighter than a normal CRX. And even with the tall gears it would still roast an NA EA82. The suby might take it till about 5-10 mph, Then the Honda would be gone.

I used to have one, 87 HF model. I loved it. It was the car that converted me to Japanese cars. It was so much more reliable and easy to work on than the Fords I had previously. I didn't have any problem working on it. Added bigger brakes from an Integra(always wanted to add the engine:grin: ). Changed the Clutch, CV axles, and the Carbuerator baseplate. That was all it ever needed.

90/92???????????????? Were talking america here, 98 rallyblue w/gold wheels, and an ej257 with radical cams and shimoverbuckets and Bryancrower valvesprings w/titanium retainers, and CP pistons and a hugemongous turbocharger.... that will only get bigger soon... lookie here http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77344

wow I didnt think I could even rememer that much, its not even my car.......