Ultimate Subaru Message Board

overheating 86 xt turbo - need help!

Car: 1986 Subaru XT Turbo 5-speed

Problem: Overheating like a s-o-b:confused:

Hi guys, hopefully somebody on here knows a little bit more about my car then me. I got the clutch done in it, picked it up from the mechanic and it is overheating real bad! i of course did the t-stat and changed the gasket, but it is still overheating?

does anybody know what else it could be, is it something the mechanic could of done, unhooked a sensor or something? my boyfriend says to just drive it, but i dont want to f-up the turbo...

please give me some advice!

my boyfriend says to just drive it
your BF is a real whiz kid huh? do not drive it at all, or as little as possible. do not drive it hot, that's for sure. realize your car is over 20 years old. that means all of your seals and gaskets are old. this is a great engine, but new engines don't take overheating too well...old engines, seals and gaskets have even less tolerance. if you've gotten it into the red, the damage may already be done. thing is, you hvae a great engine, these can run a very long time. would stink to ruin a great, reliable engine just because someone told you to "drive it anyway".

now...if the car never overheated before...then you had it worked on, and now it overheats. they definitely did something wrong. if it never overheated before, tell the mechanics this and have them look it over, they will know exactly what they did and did not do while they were doing this job. they most likely pulled the engine to change the clutch, so there's lots of things that could be an issue. some basic, easy checks to do right away:

is it full of coolant?

when it begins to run hot (above normal) are all the fans running at the radiataor?

are there any leaks?

if you turn the heat on, does hot air come out when it's overheating?

Make sure the thermoswitch and the radiator fan are both plugged in. Without fans the car won't cool very well. Check the Hoses and clamps going to the heater core(they from the drivers side, back of the engine, over the starter, and into the cabin) Check the lower radiator hose and clamp as well. Both would have had to be unclamped for the engine to come out for a clutch job.

Although I don't know if a shop would pull the engine, or just drop the tranny in the conventional RWD style. But I guess since it's causes overheating and not Front end issues we'll assume they took out the engine:lol:

Another option is maybe they took it for a test drive when they were done!!! Ever see Ferris Buellers Day Off? And what the Parking guys did with the Ferrari?

Here's your overheating checklist:

1. Flush/Replace Coolant. Make sure radiator has no air bubbles and reservoir is at proper level.
  2. Replace Thermostat and Radiator Cap
    • If overheats at idle, verify electric fan comes on.
    • If overheats at highway speed, replace radiator.

[*]Replace water pump

Most people will tell you not to worry about the radiator. I've yet to own one of these Subarus with the original radiator that did not need replacement. The radiators develop bad cases of fin rot and get really badly plugged. Its cheap insurance.

Mike is right about the radiator. Even if the problem is learned to be something else, your radiator is junk. After 20 years at least 70% of those little cooling tubes are now clogged. Someday I am going to buy a 20-year old Subaru radiator, pull the tank and take a picture of the internal tubes.

Where actually are you at in CT?? I am in New Milford and if you can get it here I can possibly take a look at some things if you want...considering I just delt with an overheating issue myself with my XT6...What Garage worked on it BTW?

I would first flush the system..if you have to for now..run without the T stat and see if that cools it off...make sure the fans are working..If not jump them to run constantly for now. Just some quick idea to temporarily cool it off.

And your BF is a schmuck if he says to just drive it like that! If my husband ever said that I would drag him for miles behind it:grin:

I would first flush the system..if you have to for now..run without the T stat and see if that cools it off...make sure the fans are working..If not jump them to run constantly for now. Just some quick idea to temporarily cool it off.

And your BF is a schmuck if he says to just drive it like that! If my husband ever said that I would drag him for miles behind it:grin:

ALL good suggestions...

hahaha, pull em behind it for sure. i just love the car so much. i am in woodbury, but i work in roxbury at the town hall, which about 15-20 mintes from my house. if you would be willing to come over and look at it, that would be awesome, let me know if you are serious about it, if you know your ************, then i definetly need your help :) i am going to try these suggestions in the mean time

Where actually are you at in CT?? I am in New Milford and if you can get it here I can possibly take a look at some things if you want...considering I just delt with an overheating issue myself with my XT6...What Garage worked on it BTW?

awww shucks:o Thanks Shannon... I am off work all week and might be able to have a look see..be easier if it could make it here since my tools are all here. I start a new job next week so I will be much harder to get hold of. Let me know and we will arrange something