Ultimate Subaru Message Board

windshield wiper hits trim

Stock size is either 12 or 13", I've had 14" ones do fine without hitting. There are plenty of splines for it to catch on. Just take off the cap that covers the nut, grab a 12mm socket and your ratchet and adjust it. Do it carefully and you'll be fine.

Hmmm.... I run a 17" blade on mine, it's what's listed for the '86 BRAT no matter which parts place I get them from. Ran an 18" snow blade thru last winter.

On low or intermitant speed, blade is just about straight up at the top of the swing. On high speed, blade just touches the seal at the "A" pillar, and comes close to the seal on the down swing.

Been awhile since I've drove any of the other BRATs I own(ed), but seems to be how those wipers worked also, IIRC....

I was wrong on the wiper size I said above, I appearantly was thinking of the rear wiper for some reason. But proper size is either 16" or 17" depending on where you look it up. An extra inch isn't going to hurt anything.

IIRC stands for if i remember correctly.

Probably due to wear in the arms under the cowl. On my brat I switched the wipers to mount under the arm instead of on top. Then adjust down until it seats at the bottom rubber of the windshield when cut off. When you are going down the road the extra force from the wind will keep them off the bottom rubber. You can also drop down a size or two to a 15" which will help also. That should fix it. Worked for me

Yeah, but us that "sit a little taller in the saddle" need that extra inch or two of clear window.......

I don't need the extra wiping room for height purposes. Its just a safety concern for me. I want to see as much as I can when its raining.