Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid car

Im going to try this again. Changed the plugs to ngks and the wires to whatever crappy borg warner my brother bought

im going to buy either the ngk wires or the magnacore which one is best for the engine.

I sill have terrible hesitation on cold startup. Cleaned the maf and still running on the seafoam tank.

IM trying to save up some bucks for some tires mcbrat said he would sell me but i dont want to dump more into this motor if its not going to help

ben

Either choice will be good for the wires. Personal prefference there. Might also look into changing the fuel and air filters as well...

Another thing that could probably stand to be cleaned is your iac on the front of the intake manifold.

Sounds like a problem with the CTS. Either its bunk, or the wiring to it is bunk. Its the sensor on the T-Stat housing with two wires going into a green plug. Drop it in water, and bring it to boiliing, making sure the resistance changes with the temperature.

help me out here im pretty good with cars but i dont have a degree in them. What does cts half to do with the engine. what does a coolent temprature sensor half to doo with lack of power when you jump in a car start it and want to go

Ben:grin:

When the engine is cold, the computer needs to see it. You have to run a slightly richer mixture of gasoline on a cold engine as gasoline will condensate on the intake manifold. Pretty much the same purpose as a choke on a carb.

My engine had a terrible hesitation when cold. Replaced the CTS with a junkyard one, and it ran fine.

Please note, that this sensor is different from the one for the temp gauge in your car.

you'd be hard pressed to find one at a junk yard around here....

there's only been 2 ea82's come through during the last year or so at Wrench 'n Go. might find some at the other places.... but doubtful.

Carney's in ames may have something....

can you get one of these new or is it easier to just get a junkyard one

ben

Test your current one before trying to find a replacement. May not be bad. (Mine only failed after 230K miles)

To test it, you'll need water, ice, a stove (or hot plate), a thermometer and an ohmmeter. Put it in water of varying temperatures. Measure the resistance across the two terminals. The values should be:

14 deg F : 7 - 11.5 kOhm

68 deg F : 2 - 3 kOhm

122 deg F : 0.7 - 1 kOhm

If it checks out, its good. FYI: Brand new replacements can cost upwards $80. If you find yours is bunk, I'd post a wanted in the classifieds of the board.

I dont know about the EA82s but the ER27s CTS seldom goes bad..the wireing does and there is a simple fix for it..hardwire the wires directly to the sensor..the connectors go bad and the wires get corroded .. I replaces about 8 inches of wire and soldered them directly to the CTS..then used heat shrink to hold it all together

But my question is...did you have this problem before you cleaned the motor or is it only since you cleaned it?

My Loyale has always had a hesitation when cold..never got better never got worse..i just alwasy know to warm it up for a minute or 2

If it checks out, its good. FYI: Brand new replacements can cost upwards $80. If you find yours is bunk, I'd post a wanted in the classifieds of the board.

FYI. The SPFI sensor is expensive($80-90). The MPFI one is way cheaper

(17.99 at autozone) Both output in the same range of resistance. And both share the same thread size. I believe that by simply fashioning wiring adapter you could use the MPFI cheap sensor on the SPFI engine. I haven't actually test fitted one. The MPFI sensor has a longer probe, which might interfere with the thermostat, but I doubt it.

It's really not good for you're car to run with a bad CTS. You really should test it. You can test it on the car by measuring resistance when it's cold(before you start it), then watching the resistance as the engine temp rises. Use the figures MikeShoup provided. If you don't have a multimeter, go get one. They can be gotten for about 20 bucks or less.