Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I picked up a used 99 Outback wagon with 150k miles. The cars runs pretty well, but I have 2 issues.

1. When filling up the gas tank, the gas pump shuts off every few minutes. This may not sound like a big deal, but since I cant pump my own gas (NJ), the atendants get annoyed and I hardly ever get a full tank. This happens at all gas stations.

2. The car starts fine, but after the car sits for 5+ hours it seems to take longer to start. I am thinking that I am losing fuel pressure. It looks like it has a newer full filter.

Hi Hooked4Life and welcome! For the pump click off issue, check out endwrench Vehicle Won't Take Fuel

Hard cold start cold be engine coolant temp sensor. ECU thinks engine is warm and doesn't inject enough fuel to run.

I am thinking that I am losing fuel pressure

Before the next cold start, put the key from acc to run, wait three seconds, back to acc then to run wait three seconds, a couple of times BEFORE cranking and see if this makes any difference. Each time you do this the fuel pump will run for a couple seconds and repressurize if you are losing pressure. However in the Sub's I've seen they loose pressure after about 4 hours, and they repressurize within about 1 second anyway.

Hi Hooked4Life and welcome! For the pump click off issue, check out endwrench Vehicle Won't Take Fuel

Hard cold start cold be engine coolant temp sensor. ECU thinks engine is warm and doesn't inject enough fuel to run.

Before the next cold start, put the key from acc to run, wait three seconds, back to acc then to run wait three seconds, a couple of times BEFORE cranking and see if this makes any difference. Each time you do this the fuel pump will run for a couple seconds and repressurize if you are losing pressure. However in the Sub's I've seen they loose pressure after about 4 hours, and they repressurize within about 1 second anyway.

Thanks for the info. Do you know how to remove the fuel tank hose?

I think the hsoes just pull off the canister. I've never had to do it. You have to figure out if your canister is underneath the vehicle, pretty much right below where the fuel filler hole is (it's a black square box with what looks like 482 hoses routed into/around it) (this is the 'enhanced' system). Yah it's a little funny how that article says to just pull it off at the pump since you'd have to be lying on the ground probably on your back to get under there.

Or if you have the charcoal canister under the hood, usually near where the ABS hydraulic unit is. This is the older system.