Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sticking Throttle (ea81 holley 180)

I just got round to jb welding up the coolent pasage under my adapter plate after having it leak for some 30k km. After taking ot for a spin I realised that the throttle sticks, if you turn the thottle linkage on carb by hand it also sticks. It started doing this a bit before I pulled the holley off again but not as bad, it was and still is an intermitent problem. I did do the carb base bolts up pretty tight and I read you can warp the base of the carbi, will loosening fix it back up? Should I just get a return spring? As its not hard to turn the linkage back by hand. I am running some radiator flush it it atm so its running a little hotter than usual would this effect it? Note: when I first installed carb 30k km ago there was no sticking, and has only popped up in the last 5k km, this was before I bolted it down for the second time. Also how hard are holley 180s to rebuild? Another thing with the small coolent lines, I blocked off both the holes in the manifold and ran the one on the block to the one on the heater core feed, is this bad?

Cheers

It is possible that you warped it a little or just distorted it from over tightening. I think loosening the base just a little would be a good idea to start with. Also try spraying some carb cleaner on the shaft and that may help free it up a little bit.A return spring would be a bad idea especially if you end up having trouble with that when you are out mucking around in your car.

Yeh just for future reference it turned out to be a sticking thottle linkage, a little carb cleaner and wd40 seemed to fix it.

Another thing with the small coolent lines, I blocked off both the holes in the manifold and ran the one on the block to the one on the heater core feed, is this bad?