Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i just dont like the way the seatbelt sits about 4 inches off my shoulder. im sure it will hold me in case of an accident, but i just dont feel like its doing its job. i much prefer a regular seatbelt........ not to mention im tired of hanging myself when im getting out of my car in a hurry...

Yea sometimes mine tends to not want to go down, and other times it catches and gets all tight on the way back up and it almost chokes me.

"Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your message. I am sorry to

learn of the concern with the seat belts in your 1998 Legacy GT Wagon.

Per page 6 of the 1998 'Warranty and Maintenance' booklet, seat belt coverage

lasts for the useful life of the vehicle and includes seat belts and related components

which fail to function properly during normal use. Upon inspecting your vehicle,

your Subaru dealer can advise you if the repairs to the seat belts in your vehicle

would be covered by warranty or not.

When you schedule your appointment to have this concern physically inspected by

your dealer, please contact us with the appointment date and the name of the dealer.

We would like to follow-up with the dealer upon their inspection of your Legacy

Wagon.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX"

I may try to do this on Friday!!!! Gotta love those Subaru folks!

"Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your message. I am sorry to

learn of the concern with the seat belts in your 1998 Legacy GT Wagon.

Per page 6 of the 1998 'Warranty and Maintenance' booklet, seat belt coverage

lasts for the useful life of the vehicle and includes seat belts and related components

which fail to function properly during normal use. Upon inspecting your vehicle,

your Subaru dealer can advise you if the repairs to the seat belts in your vehicle

would be covered by warranty or not.

When you schedule your appointment to have this concern physically inspected by

your dealer, please contact us with the appointment date and the name of the dealer.

We would like to follow-up with the dealer upon their inspection of your Legacy

Wagon.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX"

I may try to do this on Friday!!!! Gotta love those Subaru folks!

Its true! Its true! They will be replaced next Friday! Thanks guys!

I just talked to dad about the seat belt subject because I vaguely remember a 90 legacy we had having ripped belts. They were frayed at the subaru loop near the latch on the lap section. They replaced both sides for him after looking at them.

That's exactly where mine are, too. I'll take it in - after vaca. Thanks for the info!

Yea mine work also, I wonder if they would repalce becuase of age or fraying?

I went to the dealer a few days ago and asked, they told me the lifetime warranty only applied to the retractor mechanism. Didn't even look at the seatbelt. Not real impressed with Subaru at the moment. They didn't have much of what I wanted, had to order a bunch of stuff etc.

Anyone know if the front and rear seatbelt can be interchanged on a 98 OBS? At least the frayed belt would be in the back where I didn't have to use it.

I went to the dealer a few days ago and asked, they told me the lifetime warranty only applied to the retractor mechanism. Didn't even look at the seatbelt. Not real impressed with Subaru at the moment. They didn't have much of what I wanted, had to order a bunch of stuff etc.

Anyone know if the front and rear seatbelt can be interchanged on a 98 OBS? At least the frayed belt would be in the back where I didn't have to use it.

Drop an email to the factory. They handled mine with no problem.