Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how far will a toasted front diff make it?

what kind of racket? I lost a tooth off a front ring gear once while going 65 on an interstate. it sounded like a helicopter was flying over me. As I slowed down it got worse and wors, to the point where it was undrivable because the whole car was shaking violently.... I got about 2 miles....

is the diff bathing in diff oil or in ATF?

because if it has it's own oil supply and should it fail, just be prepared to do the solinoid hack on the way, to get the car into true 4wd and drive it home (with horrible torque bind, but the trans is toasted anyway)

if it gets really ugly (diff completely locked up etc.) you can still put it in true 4wd, pull the front axles and drive it home in RWD. not something you want to do on the side of the road, but if it comes down to it, this is the way.

you guys are great, that's funny and insightful all at the same time. i'll probably just tow it because i can. but it sure is tempting to just drive the thing since strapping it down and towing is annoying. see how the test drive goes. i'll figure out which wire is for the duty C solenoid incase somehow the front diff can "free wheel". i may drive to get it with my truck and have someone with me. drive it until it blows and load it if i have to.

if it gets really ugly (diff completely locked up etc.) you can still put it in true 4wd, pull the front axles and drive it home in RWD. not something you want to do on the side of the road, but if it comes down to it, this is the way.

btw U only need to pull one axle and you also need the cv cup spindle half to out thru your hub or your wheel will fall off.

On bigger trucks I have had the differential lock up as pieces get stuck in the ring gear. Subi diffs seem to jam and pop rather than lock solid, so as it goes there will be rough going for a bit, like WHAM cruch ping ping ping crunch bang style noises, but it should clear up after a bit. If you really don't care, just keep your foot in it as it starts to go. That way the power should help completely shred it. What you don't want is a half- shredded diff. They suck.

On bigger trucks I have had the differential lock up as pieces get stuck in the ring gear. Subi diffs seem to jam and pop rather than lock solid, so as it goes there will be rough going for a bit, like WHAM cruch ping ping ping crunch bang style noises, but it should clear up after a bit. If you really don't care, just keep your foot in it as it starts to go. That way the power should help completely shred it. What you don't want is a half- shredded diff. They suck.

ka-CHUNKka-CHUNKka-CHUNKka-CHUNK!!!!!:dead: