Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'Upgrading' a '01 Forester L

quickshot

Hey guys. I've been under the hood for some time yesterday cleaning mud from my last pine barrens trip and i noticed that many things in there I can do without a problem. (I thought that changing some parts in a car would be like doing quantum physics).

I was thinking of replacing my old air filter & air intake..stock i guess...to something with higher performance..

I checked out some main sites like K&N that specialize in those things and noticed they only have air filters for my car but no air intakes.

Would it be okay if I buy an air intake for lets say a '04 Forester and put it in my '01?

thanks for the help! :grin:

GRR where were you when i said i was looking for an intake system

:-p

Looking at the two of them, i am trying to figure out the true differnce between the short one, and the "cold" air intake.

The short one would probably solve my problem. The cold air intake I would be afraid of it sucking in water.

nipper

I didn't want to mention this type intake for a MAF equiped car. Because we all know what can become of that equation.

I don't believe the cold air would suit you either because it is designed for stock geometry. And well... Thats why your stocker doesn't work.

I didn't want to mention this type intake for a MAF equiped car. Because we all know what can become of that equation.

I don't believe the cold air would suit you either because it is designed for stock geometry. And well... Thats why your stocker doesn't work.

Its not so much the intake as it is the filter. The filter doesnt look oiled, so that would be its saving grace.

Besides can always get another brand filter.

nipper

The installation of a cold air isn't that more involved than removing the snorkus from your fender well. And they do provide better, colder air in the real world than a shorty. Dyno results don't reflect the on road, real life effectiveness of a cold air intake.

Good point Nip, I think it is unoiled from them.

The installation of a cold air isn't that more involved than removing the snorkus from your fender well. And they do provide better, colder air in the real world than a shorty. Dyno results don't reflect the on road, real life effectiveness of a cold air intake.

Good point Nip, I think it is unoiled from them.

"The Cold Air Intake extends all the way down to the fender well and behind the bumper to replace hot air from the engine with cold air entering through the stock manifold system. Power normally restricted by the stock molded rubber intake system is released by allowing maximum airflow through the throttle body to increase power and throttle response. "

Its it being that low that bothers me. i think ill use the other one.

nipper

"The Cold Air Intake extends all the way down to the fender well and behind the bumper to replace hot air from the engine with cold air entering through the stock manifold system. Power normally restricted by the stock molded rubber intake system is released by allowing maximum airflow through the throttle body to increase power and throttle response. "

Its it being that low that bothers me. i think ill use the other one.

nipper

I think the short ram style would workout for you better, just because of the way the cai would fit.

From my experiences, the cai is perfectly safe. It really comes down to what you can feel safe about.

I once had a cai on a 94 integra gsr, lowered 2.5 inches, and I had to drive through a bad downpour, and ended up going through standing water without realizing it. I made it out ok. But I think the hiney bit a hole in the seat...