Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BOUGHT!! new owner of TURBO WAG!!

1989 Subaru GL wagon with 167,000 miles, FT4WD with 4EAT transmission. TURBO.

The Bad:

He said it got warm once, but not in the red. Had blown the upper rad hose.

Dented front driver side fender.

Passenger side raked a stop sign and the rear view on that side is gone.

Sounds like a rear wheel bearing is moaning.

Shifts kinda rough fron 1st to 2nd. Is also leaking transmission fluid, but not terribly.

And it's a Turbo.

The Good:

New front axle boots, new timing belts, new starter, new tires, new brakes, new rad hoses all within the past 10,000 miles. 4 wheel discs. Runs quite well. No visible rust, just a little rough.

Doesn't have quite as much get up as my Fwd 5spd sedan, but it did run quite smoothly. Dead steady idle, and on the 10 mile round trip in 95 Deg weather didn't get above 2/3rds of the way up on the temp gauge. Oil pressure looked good too. Interior is in good shape with a CD player. $500 firm. I'm going to give it a little time and see if he won't go down though. $400 sound good to you guys?

1989 Subaru GL wagon with 167,000 miles, FT4WD with 4EAT transmission. TURBO.

Cool! Identical to mine. 'cept I've got 240,000 miles

I've been quite happy with mine. It's the Suby I always wanted. But...........Turbo Subies are temptermental. Do a compression check and make sure you get at least 110 psi in each cylinder. Second look for any signs of that it's burning coolant. If that's all good, then not a bad buy at $400, espescially in you're area

At 167,000 I would think headgaskets are in you're future. Really you should do them premptively. Also replace the radiator, unless it's been done already, likely it needs it. And just generally be ready to go though ALL of the coolant lines, and oil lines for the turbo. Replace all the Vacuum hoses too. Inspect the MAF to Turbo boot for leaks. I have a feeling if you get it in good tune you'll find it more powerful.

My 4EAT shifted pretty rough when I first got it, it's better now after a few drain + fills. I found that the TCU didn't give fast enough power to the rear end(lot's of slip first, then wham!) So I added a Solenoid C *Lock* switch. Works great!

I payed $500 for mine. And that was not running at the time.

since Gloyale already started it, im going to make the response I want to make EVERY time someone brings up an inexpensive turbo car...

I DREAM of the day I have this opportunity with money in hand... and when I find a car like the one you've found, my plan will be to almost immediately yank the engine, replace headgaskets, reseal or replace oil pump, nail any potential oil leak spots (all of them) water pump, timing belts, and hoses all around.

You do that, then MECHANICALLY SPEAKING you should have a plenty reliable turbo soob for another 50-60K miles.. basically dont worry about anything other than coolant flushes until you need a new timing belt.

Outside of mechanicals, 99% of the problems the turbo cars CAN have are electrical FI issues, and those are simple enough to track down with patience, an FSM, and a multimeter.

(of course, the next steps on my personal plan would involve larger injectors, a TMIC, and possibly even a larger turbo, but thats because i am dumb like that, and have most of those parts just from the datsuns in the family. :grin:)

I couldn't resist so I went ahead and called the guy, and picked it up and drove it home. Ran nice and cool. The oil pressure reads 0, nothing out of the ordinary. The engine seems quite noisy actually. Was more obvious with the windows up. I'll be doing some studying this week so when the weekend comes around, I can get my hands a little dirty.

I hate to make you guys wait, but I promise I'll have them up tomorrow. What should I name her? She has some aftermarket ski-raks. Looks good. Let's hope this thing grows on the rents before they go ape over all these Soobs... lol.

It snows about 3 times in Tennessee each year, why in the world for ski racks? :lol:

Ooo Wow now i'm getting wet!:lol: That thing is almost mint! I see you'v got a big dent in your front fender. But thats an easy fix. Oh and those are just rack posts. There not for ski's! Like those are what you mount stuff too. Like the Yakima load worrior roof basket. But it still look's cool! You'l know what i mean if you vist Yakima.com

How much more accelertion does the turbo EA82 have then the N/A EA82?? Pretty fast?

I'll give you 5 stars on that!:headbang:

Yeah, except you got the little black plastic piece on the front of your wheel well. And sorry about my ignorance on racks, lol. The passenger side has some damage as well, but a wash would do this thing more good than anything right now.

Get you a BOV.