Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition/Key "lock" PROBLEM

Just started experiencing this issue. Sometimes when I put my key in the ignition, I am physically unable to turn it. The car is in park, and no, the wheels aren't turned at a sharp angle. When this happens, I have to tug like hell on the steering wheel and twist the key and eventually it will turn to the on position. I've had one episode where I couldn't get it to ever turn, and after some time away, and a degree of cussing once back in the car, I eventually got it to turn.

Any help would be appreciated.

What, specifically, is the root of the problem? Do I just need to swap in a new ignition switch, and is that a big pain and a big cost because of the key? I assume it might have something to do with the neutral safety switch? :confused:

My car is a '95 Legacy wagon.

I've noticed this kind of problem on my '94. It seems to be a combination of a worn key and the thing is really sensitive to the steering wheel being turned. Usually I have to do a combination of gently trying to turn the key while jiggling it and turning the wheel back and forth slightly. Then it will go.

This is different from the "lock" that occurs when you park with the wheel turned too far--I've experienced that before on multiple cars and tugged the wheel back and got the key to turn. This is with my tires pointed perfectly straight. Yes, it's securely in Park. The first time I got "locked out" where the tugging and wiggling of the steering wheel and key did nothing, I had my wife bring me her key to the car, and the newer key made no difference.

It doesn't do this all the time, but enough to where it's a major pain in the butt and quite an inconvenience if I'm in a hurry. I'm waiting for it to happen permanently.

The past few days I have made a point to park with my steering wheel straight, make sure it's definitely in park, and I even make sure I turn the key back completely before pulling it out. Still, it just seems to do this at random times.

If it were a car that took 2 keys, I'd just go to the junkyard and get me a different ignition/key from a doner car, but it'd be a major pain to swap out all the door and hatch locks too. If the problem is even in the switch itself...which I don't know what the possibilities can be.

Anyone had any experience swapping in a new ignition switch? How expensive is it, and how the heck do you address the issue of matching it to the key. I suppose I could just pull an old one from the junkyard and have two keys--if it saved me a pocket of bills. Any idea if up to '99 is the same for my '95?

Anyone had any experience swapping in a new ignition switch? How expensive is it, and how the heck do you address the issue of matching it to the key. I suppose I could just pull an old one from the junkyard and have two keys--if it saved me a pocket of bills. Any idea if up to '99 is the same for my '95?

there are 3 parts that make up the ignition switch. swapping the 'key way' is very simple, if you have a key and can get it to turn. the mechanical locking part that the keyway slides into is more difficult to swap and not necessary. the actual ignition (electrical) switch is the third part of the system.

i would suggest removing your existing key way, and taking it to a lock smith. he can re-key it, replace the worn pins to match your original door locks and make a matching key that will work your doors as well.

to remove the 'key way' you remove 3 screws on the bottom of the pastic housing around the steering column and ignition. GENTLY remove the top and bottom halves and set them aside. (the tilt control lever is tricky) put the key in the ignition and turn it a little until it unlocks the steering. on one side of the ignition cylinder housing there is a pin about 3/16" wide which recesses into the ignition cylinder housnig. if you press this in while pulling out on the key (while it is still turned some) the key way will slide out of the ignition. pretty slick. EDIT: don't forget to check the battery kil switch after you reinstall the plastic housing.

there is a pretty large plug thing on the bottom of the plastic housing, and if you knew what you were doing and had a long ice pick thing with a bend on the end, i think you could remove the key way without removing the plastic housing. but i have to see what i'm doing.

• 4 years later...
on one side of the ignition cylinder housing there is a pin about 3/16" wide which recesses into the ignition cylinder housnig. if you press this in while pulling out on the key (while it is still turned some)

John - i don't see this pin - any hints? drivers seat side of ignition or firewall side?

i saw a round/brass-ish colored pin thing but pressing it didn't do anything, i'll push it while pulling some more.