Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A first.....subie left me stranded

Well today marks the first time in 10 years of owning subes that one of left me by the road side.

I notice the throttle sticking a little as I left for work, pulled over checked the cable cycled it back and forth by hand looked ok pressed on.

10 miles down the road the throttle went WIDE OPEN into red line, I shut down and coasted to a parking lot. Looks like the cable isn't completely broken but many broken cable strands under the pedal. Some of the cable must be jammed up in there for it to be stuck wide open like that....

Still can't complain, this car got me home in many a snow storm/bad weather, its a nice sunny day out, smokin a cigar waitin for triple A.......

I keep a few(dozen) bycycle shifter cables, long ones for the rear derailuer. I've used theem to replace throttle cables and even a clutch cable in an emergency. I fished out the old cable, and threaded the new cable through the housing. I used a nut and bolt an two washers to make a clamp onto the cable to use as a stopper at the cable ends. For the clutch cable 3 bicycle cables bundled fit through well and was strong enough to last for the last 200 miles of a trip once.

I used to wrench on bikes and have spools of that cable. Lucky me

I keep a few(dozen) bycycle shifter cables, long ones for the rear derailuer. I've used theem to replace throttle cables and even a clutch cable in an emergency. I fished out the old cable, and threaded the new cable through the housing. I used a nut and bolt an two washers to make a clamp onto the cable to use as a stopper at the cable ends. For the clutch cable 3 bicycle cables bundled fit through well and was strong enough to last for the last 200 miles of a trip once.

I used to wrench on bikes and have spools of that cable. Lucky me

FTW :headbang:

bikes taught me how to wrench.