Ultimate Subaru Message Board

0743 OBD2 code...what to check for?

I'm still checking out my transaxle clunking problem listed in the thread with the movie attached. I also get a 0743 code even after reset which is "Torque Converter Circuit Electrical" in my little book that came with the scanner I bought. Any ideas on what to check or if there is a connector I can clean etc.?

This noise is a weird one and a very good local suby shop here is a little unsure it's the front diff since there aren't any metal flakes or contaminants in either the AT fluid or the front transaxle fluid. They also had me check the driveshaft for a bad u-joint but that's okay too. I'm trying to figure out a little more before I have it towed to them.

Subaru description is DTC P0743 - TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH SYSTEM (LOCK-UP DUTY SOLENOID) ELECTRICAL

DTC DETECTING CONDITION: Two consecutive driving cycles with fault

TROUBLE SYMPTOM: No lock-up (after engine warm-up)

NOTE: Check lock-up duty solenoid circuit.

Maybe you can reseat the connectors if everything else looks good. Could just be the solenoid is bad though. No lockup means your fuel economy will suffer and the ATF may run a little hotter than normal.

• 3 years later...

Hi guys,

I am getting the AT OIL TEMP flashing and P0743 code on my (172k miles) 1999 automatic forester. It will trigger on road trips when I am going around 55mph or on the highway going 65mph or higher. It will start flashing and my CEL will turn on steady. I have been reading a lot of people will have a dent in their tranny pan and the wire is pinched, but I don't have a dent in my tranny pan. Just for reference, my tranny filter is external.

Any ideas on what could be the root of my issue? I am a little hesitant to pull my tranny pan to check the wire if there is no dent.

I appreciate any help!

Eric