Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone have a bigger subaru?

Knichol

There are some pretty awesome home brewed subaru's but does anyone have one larger than this one?

5673.jpg

I know this pic has been posted before, I was just wondering if anyone has anything bigger and who has the largest actual subaru? (aka not a body put onto a yota frame or something like that)

Hmm, this brings an interesting point to light. When we had the wagon at the car show they were having a highest truck contest. The measurment was taken from the bottom of the the door to the ground. I thought this was a pretty lame way to measure it.

I mean i can take a pinto body and weld it on 5ft stilts to a stock Ranger chassis and win this contest....does that meen it's any good at wheeling?

I think a better tried and true method would be seeing how many beer cans (or other stackable objects) you can drive directly over? Seeing as body hight does not equal ground clearance. :cool:

tallwagon.jpg

Where do you draw the line on "Still being a Subaru"?

Most Yotas are not much yota.

Build Jeeps are very little Jeep.

I think it would be hard to get much bigger than that Wagon!

Those Iceland boys do a good job.

Hmm? That is kinda a tough call. I guess i would still call a Subaru with a strait axle swap a Subaru, as long as it was built off the stock body and not just set on a frame.

I meen really we are just starting with a platform to build off of. Thoes of us with more money and/or fab skills will take it farther and farther to make it a more capable vehicle untill it doesnt really resemble stock any more.

I guess the differace is a modded Toyota still uses it's stock frame and still has strait axles under it, maybe not the ones it came with but still uses the same layout. A Subaru with a strait axle swap has kinda just become a Subaru powered buggy.

Do i make any sence at all. :rolleyes:

Perfectly.

Mine is probably the closest to what your talking about. The only thing thats non subaru is the t-case. I still have the IFS and IRS, EA81 engine. It has some sub frame to it, this was for the t-case and engine support.

My next project is going to be something entirely morphed. Theres only 2 others like it around, and they are both in WA State:-p

wcss9005.jpg

Well your still has the front IFS right? Nothing wrong with swapping in a strait axle i guess. You get more flex, less chance of breaking stuff, locker options, the only thing i dont like is the loss of center clearance. Thats one of the biggest reason i can't bring myself to swap a strait axle in, unless it's like a portal axle of some kind, but there big $$$$.

I guess the differace is a modded Toyota still uses it's stock frame and still has strait axles under it, maybe not the ones it came with but still uses the same layout. A Subaru with a strait axle swap has kinda just become a Subaru powered buggy.

So, is this still a Jeep? I don't see straight axles under there, but I'm pretty sure the owner and everyone who sees it still calls it a Jepp.

tilt_dirt_2.sized.jpg

i would consider it still a true SUBARU 4x4 if it still has -

1) stock type body

2) stock type engine EA-EJ

3) subaru built trans

4) subaru build diff cases

5) independent suspention and axels with limited mods to increase durability

"adding parts to all of that is ok "

examples , adding a transfer case and an extra subaru diff OK , a sub frame to stiffen the body is OK ,

it all comes down to what makes a subaru a SUBARU , but for me all it takes is for you to strap a lawn chair to a subaru engine a ill ride it :headbang:and say its still a SUBARU .

I hope come the end of this weekend to have my wagon somewhat driveable, center of the body is around 30 inches or so from the ground and I will be roll'n on 35's... I dont know if mine is, or will be the largest, but if it is I hope someone comes along and shows me up...

;)

i would consider it still a true SUBARU 4x4 if it still has -

1) stock type body

2) stock type engine EA-EJ

3) subaru built trans

4) subaru build diff cases

5) independent suspention and axels with limited mods to increase durability

"adding parts to all of that is ok "

examples , adding a transfer case and an extra subaru diff OK , a sub frame to stiffen the body is OK ,

it all comes down to what makes a subaru a SUBARU , but for me all it takes is for you to strap a lawn chair to a subaru engine a ill ride it :headbang:and say its still a SUBARU .

crazy canadians:headbang:

• 3 weeks later...

from gocms.com:

Warning! Our Suspension System isn’t for Everyone.

If any of the following factors apply to you, then we encourage you to stick with the rig you have now and leave our suspension system to your friends or competitors. <li type="circle">Don’t like to be noticed or have attention directed your way <li type="circle">Prefer to run in the pack rather than be a leader <li type="circle">Enjoy being the one being winched out of trouble <li type="circle">Are afraid of heights and prefer the smaller rigs <li type="circle">Doesn’t mind losing because you think it builds character

they forgot "don't have a few rooms full of money laying around"

looks neat otherwise.