Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forgive me if this has been asked... location of TCM? - Now with photos!

Hi all-

Long story short, I have the trouble codes/multimeter readings for my 1993 Impreza and need access to my TCM... only problem is I can't find it! The diagram shows it's under the steering wheel, but I haven't the faintest idea what it looks like. Any direction would be much appreciated. Thanks! :banana:

-K

• 4 weeks later...

OK guys, I finally got the time to poke around once again... and still no luck. In a last (desperate) attempt, I took some photos, so maybe someone will see something I can't and point it out. :)

General shot looking to the right:

generaldk8.th.jpg

Straight on from driver's seat:

straightrz9.th.jpg

Looking toward the center console/instrument panel-thing: ;)

sideofradioetconrightim3.th.jpg

Looking left toward the door:

lefttowarddoorpj5.th.jpg

Looking left more toward center:

leftcenterpc9.th.jpg

Under steering column looking at left side:

leftsidejg9.th.jpg

Now, I know one thing for certain - that black box that with the green sticker in the 2nd photo is the shift lock control - only b/c it says so on the sticker. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I hate to be a real noob here, but I'm desperate to figure out what is going on with the torque lockup (or lack thereof) and thus need that TCM to show its face. :)

<<i'm not 100% sure but, i'm pretty sure in the 1st & 2nd pictures with the big 'JH' on it is the Transmission Control Unit. is this what you are looking for?. >>

yeah, if the JH part isn't the TCU, its the ECU. Either way, they are both bolted to each other with 10MM nuts. take the nuts off and disconnect the plus from both, then you will be able to pull them both down together.

Thanks guys. I unscrewed the bottom part of the JH unit last night and took a peek inside - looked to be a computer circuit board but I didn't have time to take the whole shebang apart. The manual pages I have claim the ECU is located behind the glove compartment.

I guess they really, really don't want people to do their own diagnostic tests! Either that or I'm just blind/paranoid I'm going to short out my car. :dead: