Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My wife called me from work today telling me that her brake and battery lights came on while driving to work (we both have '95 Legacy wagons). When I got home I logged in to this group, did a search on the lights, and immediately found a thread saying that it was a bad alternator. After dinner I pulled it out, took it to Autozone, and the tester said it was bad. Took home another, popped it in, and no more warning lights.

Once again, this group saved me a trip to the mechanic, which would have taken a bunch of time and cost a whole lot more money than doing it myself. Her wagon now has 182,000 miles, and mine will hit 282,000 this weekend. Here's looking forward to combining for half a million sometime next year!

Thanks again.

Adam

recalls stand fot the life of the car- you could still take in a Justy:eek: and get the "Takata seatbelt recall" done for free... even if you are the 32 owner with 425,987 miles on it:headbang:

Now, about that ASV for my '82 GL... that may be a different story:burnout:

Lewis

My wife called me from work today telling me that her brake and battery lights came on while driving to work (we both have '95 Legacy wagons). When I got home I logged in to this group, did a search on the lights, and immediately found a thread saying that it was a bad alternator. After dinner I pulled it out, took it to Autozone, and the tester said it was bad. Took home another, popped it in, and no more warning lights.

Once again, this group saved me a trip to the mechanic, which would have taken a bunch of time and cost a whole lot more money than doing it myself. Her wagon now has 182,000 miles, and mine will hit 282,000 this weekend. Here's looking forward to combining for half a million sometime next year!

Thanks again.

Adam

Sweet! The only thing to remember is the Autozone alternators suck. When I have used one i have had to replace it more than once in less than 6 months.

The recall was for alternator part # 23700AA211F Lot range of 62P to 84W

Campaign - Alternator Inspection/Replacement

NUMBER: WXX-81 DATE: 10/15/00

APPLICABILITY: 1996MY-1998MY Subaru Legacy

SUBJECT: Alternator

Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) has determined that some 1996 through 1998 Subaru Legacy vehicles may experience a loss of alternator charging due to a broken brush wire. On vehicles with higher mileage, an alternator brush wire may become fatigued and eventually break as a result of engine operation at high RPMs. If an alternator brush wire does break, the Charge Warning Light will illuminate steadily while the engine is running thereby providing ample time for the driver to seek repair service (depending on the battery condition, approximately one hour of vehicle operation). However, if the warning is ignored and the vehicle continues to operate under this condition, the battery will eventually lose electrical power and the engine will stop running.

The program will involve the inspection of affected vehicles for possible alternator replacement.