Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all,

Thanks for all the help in the past! Here I am again, with an AC question. I like the thread about the window tinting- I wish I had done it a few years ago! These things are like a greenhouse at times!

Anwyay, my AC compressor is whining and my trusted tech says it is on its way out. I trust that.. but.. is there a reason that it seems to cool really well when I am driving along, but whenever I stop at a red light or get stuck in traffic it stops cooling?? Are those things consistent with a failing compressor?

I guess I am wondering if the lack of cooling at a stop is due to the compressor failing or is there something else not working- cooling fans, AC radiator, or whatever.

thanks!

badjer

Someone posted a similar issue a couple months ago and a a/c recharge fixed it. Not sure if the reason it worked ok when moving was higher rpm of compressor made it able to function.

But yes, if the fans aren't working, or the condenser is jammed with leaves and stuff, or there is a bunch of leaves or rats nest between the condenser and radiator, etc., it would reduce airflow.