Ultimate Subaru Message Board

After parking my 2001 OBW at an outdoor airport parking lot for 2 weeks, I'm having problems with my front brake pads/ rotors. Apparently the pads stuck to the rotors and when I backed out of my spot the pads broke?? or something as now when the brakes are applied you hear a thump, thump, thump as though something is stuck to the rotor?

Any likewise experiences ?

Usually it just takes some drtiving around to break off all the rust. This is not an uncommon thing with disc brakes. This is also why you dont set the parking brake if your going to be away fopr a long peroid of time. It should go away.

What airport? Was there an excessive amount of rain?

nipper

It's not uncommon for the brakes to be a little sticky after a vehicle sits for a few weeks. Make a few good stops from say 60 to break them back in. Carefully of course. I have been unpleasantly surprised a few times at the brakes not working so well the first few times after the vehicle sat. Then if you are still hearing some weird noise it may need to be looked at. If water got past the rubber accordians between the caliper piston and body, the caliper may have corroded somewhat and may be sticking.

Usually it just takes some drtiving around to break off all the rust. This is not an uncommon thing with disc brakes. This is also why you dont set the parking brake if your going to be away fopr a long peroid of time. It should go away.

What airport? Was there an excessive amount of rain?

nipper

Detroit, and yes there was a lot of rain.

Unfortunately the problem hasn't gone away after a lot of driving and stopping at various speeds. Into the dealers tomorrow, the service rep said it's unusual not to correct itself after a few days of driving. the brakes/rotors had about 20k miles on them. The rotors at this point "feel" fine.

Unfortunately the problem hasn't gone away after a lot of driving and stopping at various speeds. Into the dealers tomorrow, the service rep said it's unusual not to correct itself after a few days of driving. the brakes/rotors had about 20k miles on them. The rotors at this point "feel" fine.

i agree with the service rep.

nipper

As it turns out the dealer/mechanic cleaned some deosits of rust off the rotor and all is fine. I've never had that problem last so long, had me worried! Thanks for the assurrances.

Brakes are a lot more durable than people make them out to be. I think that it will correct itself eventually.

I have this same problem with my Acura RL. It sat in the garage for 5 months without moving (over the winter) and when I backed it out in the spring the brakes were rusted to the rotors. It broke away and as I back down the driveway I could feel and hear as the brake pad went past the high spot that the rust left behind. Even after removing the wheels and taking some sandpaper to the high rust spot on the rotors I have a little of the rubbing remaining.

Oh yea, anyone want to buy an Acura? :)

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-over-5K-1998-ACURA-RL-US-CAR-IN-MINT-CONDITION-W0QQAdIdZ21712037

Rain, Rust, The Roads, like EVERYTHING else in Detroit, is just a Little Bit MEANER!:headbang:

MADD1

Those pipes probably have a high-ish content of silicium, which causes a very fine structure in the rust, meaning less of the big flakes.

The brake discs don't have silicium in them, they would be too weak for the job.

Manhole covers tend to have high silicium content too, the weaking is compensated for by the large thickness of the cover.

Yes I'm sure they could be turned. I was just trying to show how much they can rust in a few weeks. Those would be noisy for a while.

I think they're the least expensive rotors from autozone; it was what the used car dealer threw in for 'free'. They don't have the nice 8mm holes to drive them off the hub.

Yes I'm sure they could be turned. I was just trying to show how much they can rust in a few weeks. Those would be noisy for a while.

I think they're the least expensive rotors from autozone; it was what the used car dealer threw in for 'free'. They don't have the nice 8mm holes to drive them off the hub.

Hmm. On my Legacy, I pulled the rotors off without even needing to drive them. As soon as I pulled the caliper, the rotor was just dangling.

Yes I think if the rotors haven't been on too long and/or if you don't live in a salty area, they will come right off. I don't know, these rotors I had to heat with the mapp and use about a 6lb sledge on them. The 8mm holes work great to force the rotor off - if the rotor has the holes.

When I put the new rotors on I brushed and cleaned the hub and everything and put a protectant on the interface parts. Those rotors are always free whenever I remove the wheels.