Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 loyale engine temperature issue

My temp gauge has started reading higher than normal usually it is maybe a about a quarter of the way up,the last week or so it has been up over halfway,at first I thought it was just the extremely hot days but even with the temp dropping off it still reads high the fan is running and the oil/coolant levels are good and the motor doesnt feel really hot,any suggestions on what to check.

Thanks

Does the car have AC, and does it have a water pump driven fan, or just the electric fan?

You could check the fan thermo swich, perhaps it's wearing out and getting out of range. Could just be a bad gauge sending unit, too. According to the gauge, my '85 GL has always run hotter than my Loyale. Not sure if it's actually hotter, or just a sending unit variation.

Andy

One possible trick for short term use is this: find the little electrical plgu on the bottom, passenger side, engine side of the radiator tank. Unplug it, and put a jumper wire on the harness side of the plug. This will essentially fool your car inot having the electric fan on all the time, regardless of what the temp of the water is; you are replacing a switch that turns "on" at a certain temperature with a wire that is always "on."

Thats just a band-aid though; Move your hand across the coils, while touching them, with the engine warmed up. Feel for cold spots, they indicate a clogged section of the radiator. Also, inspect very thoroughly for fin rot; corroded and nasty fins do NO good in dissipating the heat. Lastly, shine a bright light through the radiator and look to see how clean the coils are; I know my original radiator performed MUCH better DESPITE the fin rot after I removed it, soaked it with degreaser, and blasted it out with the hose.

Check your thermostat and replace with subaru brand only. I run without a thermostat but I have recently finally learned why that is a bad thing even in South Florida, where 50 degrees is freezing my butt off. The thermostat acts as a restrictor in the cooling system, which raises the pressure inside the engine. This raises the boiling point further, and makes the water (or antifreeze) a more efficient coolant.