Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are you seeing a level drop in the radiator itself, or the overflow, or both? MY 96 OBW sees the overfull *slowly* lowers overtime, no visable leaks (external anyway) the radiator remains full/clean/no bubbles, so I assume it's just evaporation :rolleyes: HGs done at 138K, currently at 223K

this is the overflow. I have to add a fair amount every 3 months or so.

I think the coolant evaporates out of the overflow. Mine's the same way, I have to add some every few months(both before and after engine rebuild). The overflow is not really sealed, that is I can see a small gap around the rubber hose that connects to it. And,Obviously the engine compartment gets rather hot.

You just need to open your hood at least once a month to keep track of fluids. Coolant in a overflow does evaporate over time (it gets hot under that hood). If you are not over heating, have plenty of heat, i wouldnt worry about it. If it makes you feel better, you can always do a dye leak test, but it sounds almost normal to me.

Faulty/dirty/poor radiator cap could cause this. The cap must be in brand new condition with no particulate under any of the rubber seals. There is an article on EndWrench about it.

A 2006? How much newer can you get?

That would cause me to seriously suspect all radiator caps. A radiator cap at the minimum should last 3 years (if not much longer).

nipper

Check your hose clamps, especially the radiator hose ends. When these are torqued at the factory, since the radiator is plastic, they are torqued very low. After a hard or hot run, they weep a small amount. Not enough to make a puddle, but over time you can smell coolant and lose some without knowing where it's going.

Re-tighten the hose clamps and see if that helps.

My $.02 ........

I'd check the hoses fro the heater core too. They are nearly the highest point in the system. When they leak it is ussually as steam not liquid, so you won't see any puddles or wettness. rub you're finger along the underside of teh hose and the clamp, ussually if it's been steaming there will be just a drop or so right there.