Ultimate Subaru Message Board

question about new scooby purchase

so i'm on my 3rd. roo now. my 98 2.2 was flawless except for what turned out to be just a dirty iacv. i was the second owner and have every maintenance record ever done from new till it's current 134,xxx miles. well i wanted a new body stle so i just picked up a 2001 legacy with the 2.5 and was wondering what i should look for. is there any site i could go to or even the dealer and give them my vin and find out any history on this car? it has 120,000 on it, no idea if it's ever had a timing belt, head gasket's replaced, it sucks not knowing past maintenance......

my.subaru.com is a handy site. It will show you all dealer service history. It won't show you work done at non-dealer facilities, unless the owner entered the info into the system. It wil show you any open recalls and any recall work already performed.

If you just bought the vehicle, be prepared to fax Subaru a copy of the transferred title or registration or some proof that you now own the vehicle as they will probably tell you they couldn't verify your ownership.