Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is it worth it?

hey all i found a nice 93 Loyale wagon for sale in San Jose its actually at Sunnyvale Toyota. they are asking $2992 for it heres the details

111,000 mi

power windows

power locks

auto tranny

4WD:banana: :banana:

wagon!!!!

white

am/fm cassette

very clean looking

the reason i'm asking is because i want to know if its worth getting it at a big dealer such as Toyota. and do you guys think its worth the 90min drive to go see it in person. your help would be appreciated.

Later

Buddy

i'd pass on it honestly. watch all the california craigslist within reasonable distance from you and i bet within a week or 2 you can find a nice rust free comparable car for a third of that price. i`ve watched cali craiglist before and saw many ea82s like that for alot cheaper.

basically you are paying $2k extra to buy it from a new car dealer.

I'd say that is high, especially for a car with an auto trans. I bought an extremely clean 85 GL dual range wagon with 125K and zero rust (Arizona car) for quite a bit less than that.

I can one up that price, though- a car dealer in Charleston WV has a 88 GL auto wagon with 46K original miles, and wants $3500 for it:eek:

Andy

For a MINT 88 wagon with 46k on it, auto trans and all, I'd gladly pay $3,500. I'd even drive to West Virginia to get it. But it would have to be 100% MINT.

But, I would not pay $2992 for one with 111k. I paid $125 for mine with 93K :eek:

Buddy, if I were in Norcal, I'd look up Subarus for sale in the PNW, and just take the fairly short drive... You'd save a ton of cash :grin:

Is it too old to find it on the Kelly Blue Book site & see what one of that year, in various conditions & near that mileage on it, are pricing out at? You plug in your zip code for the make, model & year and then there's a checklist for various considerations. Once you've given the various parameters it will spit out a typical price at used car dealers in your region, and also what you can expect to pay in a private party purchase.

Just as a baseline, of course.

Subarule

Yeah just like Mike said, It better be mint! You can always find an EA82 vehicle that runs and drives good for anywhere from $450-$900. So i'd see if you can talk them down! We all know that no Loyale should go for $3000 and with 111,000 i'd would really get them down!

Thats CT prices for a car..too much...here in CT all people do is look up Blue Book value and thatys what they want for it...Of course they all think theirs is in Good condition and want top dollar or think they are cutting you a deal when they say its $100 below BB.( All BS if you ask me).

I bought my 92 Loyale 5 years ago from a dealer for $600..of course old Buck had 150K but still ..from a dealer..they wanted $1200 but it wasnt too hard to talk them down..specially when you walk in flashing the cash.

But its all what you are willing to pay and what its worth to you. I am willing to pay about $1500 for a rust free D/R 4WD EA82 wagon..but that would have to be one near MINT MINT shape.

There are tons of soobs out there, Cheap. But most of the cheap ones have running problems, body issues, or WAAAY high miles(200,000 plus). 110,000 miles is not much for a 17 year old car. that's less than 7000 miles per year. Lower than average. If the dealer is willing to garauntee you're Smog Cert, and if the car is very clean, runs well, and has good tires, I'd consider it for sure. Espescially if I was 18, new to cars, and wanting something dependable.

From the just over $2200 price tag, I suspect the dealer would take $1800.

Many of us board members would never pay that much. But we have garages full of parts and years of experience fixing these things. We like finding ones with problem and buying them cheap. It just may not be the thing for you to try to do at 18 when all you want to do is drive, not fix stuff all the time(on a tight budget)

From the just over $2200 price tag, I suspect the dealer would take $1800.

Ahem. :) Re-check.

hey all i found a nice 93 Loyale wagon for sale in San Jose its actually at Sunnyvale Toyota. they are asking $2992 for it heres the details

$2992 asking price.. three grand. Thats a little steep. 1800 is reasonable, for all the reasons you mentioned. I can't see anyone talking them down to more than $2500, at least not until it sits around a while. That is a worm on a hook waiting for a sucker to come along.

Asking that much money for that car is taking advantage of some 18-20 year old who wouldn't know better, or somebody of any age group.

Could you imagine making payments (small, and only for a little while, but still) on a 20 year old car with over 100K on the clock? On a tight budget? sumfin' wottin in da shtate of denmark.....