Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 legacy is it a interference engine??

AFIAK '96 2.2L is non-interference. All 2.5L's are interference. I think the AT is the same basic design but various parts had been upgraded to hardened versions etc over the years. If you search for 4eat in the archives on endwrench.com there are lots of detailed articles.

The starters for MT and AT have different part #'s I believe. They might be different speeds/torque outputs/drive gears?

like it says, also is the automatic the same in a 90? is the auto starter the same as a munual one ?
Scott:

According to cars101.com, the LSi and GT versions received a 2.5 liter engine in '96, and if my memory serves me correctly, those 2.5 engines are interference engines. The L and Brighton had the old 2.2l, which I think is the same as previous models (i.e., non-interference).

I don't know about the starter.

Steve

The 1996 2.2L is not interference. HOWEVER, it does have solid lifters that need to be adjusted. The 1996 2.5L is interference and does run on premium fuel. If the 1996 Legacy is not an auto outback, it does not have the 2.5L engine and is not interference.

If the 1996 Legacy is not an auto outback, it does not have the 2.5L engine and is not interference.
all Legacy GT's have the 2.5 and the 1996 Legacy LSi I just picked up does as well. probably easiest if he just told us what he's talking about!

if it's a 2.2 then your 1996 isn't interference. 2.2 went to interference design in 1997 model year...so double check the manufacture date to be sure.

if it's a 2.5, they are all interference.

auto the same in 1990? the 1990 and 1996 are different, i do not know if they will interchange or not. a quick look at the FSM wiring diagram would be where i would start with that one.

the auto starters and manual starters are typically different, though i can't say whether the legacy will interchange or not.