Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! 99 Legacy needs new engine?

:headbang: Hi - My 99 legacy wagon had engine knock and I was told it's a scorched thrust bearing and that I need my engine replaced. I was also told that this particular engine was only made for 1 year and is a hybrid of sorts.

Any advice on where to get a GOOD, RELIABLE rebuilt engine (I am in Seattle, WA) Thanks!!

I bought the rebuilt engine for my '99 Outback from CCR. Good people, good product.

It's the infamous 2.5, I think the Legacy got the 2.2?

I did the swap with help from my son (the car is his now). It wasn't a bad job. The engine is surprisingly light - shipping weight was 215 pounds, but two people can lift it easily.

Whats even better is look at the two or three threads where somone has had a problem with a CCR engine (out of the many many threads where people bought ccr engines with no issues). CCR does what ever they have too to rectify the problem. That speaks so much louder then anything else, that they actually stand behind their product.

nipper

Whats even better is look at the two or three threads where somone has had a problem with a CCR engine (out of the many many threads where people bought ccr engines with no issues). CCR does what ever they have too to rectify the problem. That speaks so much louder then anything else, that they actually stand behind their product.

nipper

One more +++ rating for CCR.

I bought my car after they had done head gaskets on the 2.5 engine and due to a stupid mistake by me I thought that they needed to warentee what I thought was their problem. After letting them take care of the engine I went to pick it up and they said "No Charge" and the problem was my fault. I would not hesatate to either let them work on my car or buy anyting from them, they are top notch.

Jim

the 99 is a bit different, but doesn't require a 99 to swap with. any 1996-1999 EJ25 will easily swap. later years will as well, plug and play for the most part. you can search here for more info.

if you're going with a rebuilt then CCR is the way to go. headgaskets are common issues with these motors, i would not get a used engine unless it was very cheap or known to have had the headgaskets replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this a 2.2? or a 2.5? Either way I could see how you were told this is a one year only deal. The 99 Legos got a 2.2 phase 2 setup that was only used in the 99 Leg and the 99-01 impreza, they are a little rough to come by. If you can't get one I have access to one. If it is a 2.5 it could be called a one year setup because they went to the more bolt bell, but you can still use the older 2.5 engines.