Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen 1 Legacy Trim line question *now with pics!

So I bought a 94 Legacy today (first new gen for me personally), and it seemed a bit odd at the time...

It's clearly a upper-end trim line model from what I can tell. Don't have any pictures at the moment but will in the next few days. It's got ABS, factory alloys, roof rack, and is an AWD 5 speed. A/C etc. The thing that's got me is the badging on the rear door - it say "GT AWD", or "GL AWD" but I'm fairly certain it's the former (car isn't yet in my possesion - I have to arrange towing)..... I've only recall ever seeing "L" and "LS"?? It is NOT A turbo. It does have a reconstructed title so maybe this isn't the original rear door??

Also I don't recall seeing these wheels before on a 94.... perhaps someone can tell me something of the trim line based on them.

aly68685u.jpg

GD

I think those might be GT wheels. Maybe someone can decode the VIN positions to determine the package.

Cars101.com will show you the various packages available for the '94.

Carfax will also list the trim package, but I'm not sure how accurate it is. For my '94s VIN it says it's an alpine but I see no evidence it actually is.

Here is my '94 Legacy L wagon with option group 2:

RH1.jpg

Ok - well I think that pretty much makes it a GT then. Didn't notice the CD player, but then I wasn't looking that close other than to notice it was all bone stock stereo equipment. The rest of the stuff in the GT package fits with what I've seen of it thus far.

So 2 questions then:

1. What's the "full ground effects package", and can anyone show me pictures of the difference?

2. What kind of value does the GT package add to the car.? I already got it for a steal, and I intend to drive it as a daily anyway..... but it's always nice to know how big of a deal you got ya know? :grin:

Little old lady (no kidding) owned - water pump let go - shop wants a fortune - etc. I didn't even try to talk her down as it just wouldn't have been right. I paid the asking price of $750 figureing that even if the engine is totally hosed I'll still come out ahead. And with 132k on it I doubt the engine is in need of much more than a t-belt and WP replacement.

GD

Ok - so get this....

It IS a GT. But it's probably the only GT ever to have had the roof chopped off and a non-raised roof implanted in it's place. It seems (near as I can figure) that this car's "total" involved the roof. Only a guess, but I'm betting it was a fallen tree or something - storm damage total. They did a decent job of putting it back together although the finish work isn't the greatest - a bit wavy down the side of the car if you look close, and there's a few sags in the paint, but overall it's not a bad job at all.

All other GT bits remain - interior, ameneties, rear sway bar, alloy rims, etc. Just no raised roof.

WEIRD. :rolleyes:

Mechanically it's perfect - replaced the water pump and it's down the road no problem. Engine bay looks amazing - no rust anywhere and all the bolts just fell right out - no corrosion at all. I'm lovin it.

legacy_gt_94.jpg

Oh god.... just realized the whole damn collection is in that pic :-\. Glad to be getting rid of the two failed DD's though. One is sold and the other I'm giving away :burnout:

GD

So I bought a 94 Legacy today (first new gen for me personally), and it seemed a bit odd at the time...

It's clearly a upper-end trim line model from what I can tell. Don't have any pictures at the moment but will in the next few days. It's got ABS, factory alloys, roof rack, and is an AWD 5 speed. A/C etc. The thing that's got me is the badging on the rear door - it say "GT AWD", or "GL AWD" but I'm fairly certain it's the former (car isn't yet in my possesion - I have to arrange towing)..... I've only recall ever seeing "L" and "LS"?? It is NOT A turbo. It does have a reconstructed title so maybe this isn't the original rear door??

Also I don't recall seeing these wheels before on a 94.... perhaps someone can tell me something of the trim line based on them.

aly68685u.jpg

GD

That is the exact style 14" wheel on my 93 Impreza LS wagon.

All I know about them is that they are nearly impossible to clean.

1994 got a little weird with the trims. There was the Legacy Alpine Sport, legacy Sun Sport(?), Legacy Outdoor Wagon, and Legacy GT. If you look on the cars101 website, it will explain everything.

You are correct on the Legacy Sun Sport trim level. I saw one earlier today and thought it was a dealer decal add-on.

looks like im not the only one moving to the ej series, well i guess ea's get older every year :lol:

It's more a matter of wanting something that I'm NOT tempted to tune/restore/wrench/improve on. I have my 84 lifted wagon as an off-road toy: terrible mileage, poor handling on-road, expensive tires, etc. And my Brat I can't drive daily if I expect to tear it down for a complete restoration.

With those needs I wanted something that I can "just drive" on a daily basis that won't attract the attention of the police, and that I can haul tools, parts and friends in. Sure I look like someone's mexican lesbian cleaning lady, but I've never been much into looks - it's mostly about function for me when it comes to a DD. I also wanted to familarize myself with the EJ series as I plan to swap one into the Brat as part of it's overall restore.

GD