Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cost of a BRAT?

cd45

I found a BRAT today. I am not sure of the year, 1981 to 1983. It is black, with a topper. It has the "H" style factory aluminum wheels, and they are still shiny. I could not find any rust but, I only looked at it foe about 5 minutes. The interior is in good shape, no tears in the seats. The carpet looked good, some stains, no tears. What should I offer for it? My hope is that the guy doesn't know what he has, and lets it go cheap. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Brats are going up in value these days. If its in good shape with very little rust (im sure there is some) then its worth anywhere from 1500-4000. Ive seen them go on ebay in close to mint condition for more. I would just ask him what he is looking for before giving him an offer.

If it's any thing to gauge it off, I'm buying an '82 later this week, sounds like it's in similar condition but it also comes with a topper, spare engine and trans, a 5th 'H' style rim with tire, extra door panels, spare 'cyclops' mechanism, 6 disc CD changer, electronic compass and some other trinkets.

There's some rust in the wheel wells in the bed, nothing too major (I hope, it's under a spray in bed liner at the moment)

I'm paying $2600... if it didn't have the extra stuff with it I'd probably be paying about $2000 or a bit less.

I talked to the owner today, and forgot to get the year from him. He said it tried to overheat when he started it. That is why it was parked. It has been parked for 5 years. He wants $500 for it, and I might be able to get it this weekend. I like the price, and understand what is involved in this. The wagon I am driving now was parked for 3 or 4 years, and it gets me to work and home every day. It also has the "H" style factory aluminum wheels. So, am I getting the short end or do I go for it?

OK, got a good look and some pics today. 1983, EA81 with a WEBER carb installed. :banana: The body is clean and 99% rust free. A small spot the size of the old silver dollar at the bottom front of the drivers door. The only down side is it had the 3AT with push button 4WD. I really wanted the 5sp with D/R 4WD, but beggars can't be choosers. I get it next Wednesday. Enjoy the pics.

brat4kn0.jpg

brat3bz5.jpg

brat2nk4.jpg

brat1xp5.jpg

P.S. The tires are not flat, they are sunk into the ground up to the wheels.