Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Highest rev?

I hit 6900 where valve float kicks in all the time. MAkes people think my car is fast:lol:. I did hit someware above 8K unloaded when my throllte stuck open. After I got it closed, I looked at the tach and it just came off 8 :eek:, so... I really dont know how far it went. I tell u what tho, that engine was screeming!

My sportage, on the other hand, wont go past 200 rpm above readline of 5500, but that's ok. there's nothing above 4k anyway, not to mention she sounds absolutly terible at that rpm.:dead: Inline fours::Flame:

No, but If you've got a MT with Digidash, the digidash will beep an alarm at you when you hit 6000 rpms as a warning.

Mine never beeps?

and im not asking (or careing) why they revved it that high, i just want to know how the engine held up at higher rpms, I know at really high reves any engine (thats not built for it of course) will loose oil pressure because the pump spinns to fast and cant grab the oil (but thats another topic) anyways, keep the info coming, It helps alot when considering what will damage thse things and what wont, as far as valve float goes, I am looking into stiffer springs which would take care of that, but the float kinda seems like an accidental rev mechanical rev limiter.... anyways keep it coming, someone go out there and progressively rev the crap out of your car until it dies... ok just kidding.

my 85' GL manual tranny up to the red line and the valves did not float or anything. the engine just sounded strong and fierce. vrroooooom!!!!! :burnout: my 86' GL-10 about 4500 on the digi dash with the turbo light flickering and about 3100 with the turbo light on steady while taking off from a dead stop. man these turbos have some serious balls. :eek::burnout:

7500 to 8000 rpm before. It will run right up to 7000 rpm without any problems. I have put almost 100,000 miles on this car, and the ea 82 has almost 300,000 miles on it now and will still take the punishment. Oh yeah, compresion is good on all four cylinders, and uses about a quart of oil between oil changes, most of which probly leaks.

I feel more comfertable runnung the snot out of this motor any day of the week. I would,nt do this to my honda with half the miles because i just don,t think it could handle the abuse.

I have to throw in with mikeshoup. I see ads "never driven over 3000 RPM" and roll my eyes. its a subaru 4 cylinder and most 4 cylinders build their torque and power at a higher RPM. somewhere 3000 to 5500 optimal I believe, I don't remember? people try to drive them like they're a V8 that build torque and power at a lower range and just lug the engine. know what your driving, these are built to run at a higher RPM, and I cant say I havent had mine (the turbos) up past 6000. but that's when I'm playing not daily driving.

Wow! Guess I shift waaaay low compared to you guys then! I've been driving my '82 Brat for almost 2 weeks now and I tend to shift around 4000 and let 'er cruise around 3200... (4spd EA81) I'll probably be a bit more comfortable winding 'er up a bit more once I've had the time to do my valve adjustment and tune up...

I think you'll find they run most efficiently 3500 to 4500 range depends on the quirks of the car, but lower than that is usually bogging it down and actually making it work harder and wasting fuel, ever tried to pedal a bike in too high a gear up a hill? same thing for soobies, smaller engine needs a little more speed to make up for less brute power.

I think you'll find they run most efficiently 3500 to 4500 range depends on the quirks of the car, but lower than that is usually bogging it down and actually making it work harder and wasting fuel, ever tried to pedal a bike in too high a gear up a hill? same thing for soobies, smaller engine needs a little more speed to make up for less brute power.

Direct from HTKYSA...

"Transmissions: The engine has an optimum rpm range that gives you the best economy, power, and longevity. This range is basically between 2,300 rpm and 3,700 rpm. Driving with the engine below this range is called "lugging" the engine, and driving with engine above the optimum range is called "over-revving. " For economy driving, it's generally best to keep the rpms to the lower end of the range rather than the higher end.

There are exceptions, though. For example, it's better to shift to a lower gear when going up a steep hill so the engine is turning easily at a higher rpm rather than lugging and struggling along at a lower rpm. The tachometer (if your model has one) enables you to keep the engine speed in the proper rpm range. If you don't have a tachometer, you can learn to regulate the rpms by the sound of the engine.

Manual transmissions: You can easily use the transmission gears to keep the engine within its optimum range under varying circumstances. While driving, don't rev the engine to the top of the rpm range between every shift; just rev it high enough so that when you shift up through gears, the engine will still be turning fast enough so it won't bog down or lug when you release the clutch. Shift up to higher gears as soon as you can without slowing the engine below the optimum rpm range."