Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My speedo on a 1999 Outback started working inconsistently. I had the speed sensor changed while other work was being done. It still did not work all of the time, but the cruise control did work. I purchased a speedo head online and installed it last night. I went for a little drive to test and it did not work at all, not even a flutter while driving.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
Also clean the 4 mouting screw connections to the speedo and ensure they are tight. You may want to put your old speedo head back in with clean tight screws and see if it works.

So is it the screws that give the power to the speedo head? after I installed the new one and it didn't run the company sent me another new one and that one does not work either. What do you reccomend cleaning the screws with?

Walker's Renton Subaru in WA state. They have both been in original Sub boxes and don't show any marks like they were previously used. Part # 85020AC290

OK. I thought maybe you had found someone who was reconditioning them. I haven't but you never know.

If you have replaced the speed sensor and the speedo head with OE parts, then most likely you have a damaged cirucit board.

There could be a problem with the drive for the speed

sensor. (VSS 2)

You can test this with a cordless drill.

Pull the sensor and spin the drive with the drill.

If the speedo registers - sorry, diff may need yanked.

The nylon gear on the output shaft may be stripped.

Sure hope I'm wrong.

My OB has this problem as I type.

It did what you describe before it went toast totally.

My son just came home and told me that the speedometer and odometer on his '99 Outback have gone intermitant. :mad::mad: It has 131K miles on it.

I guess we'll pull the speedo head and take a look at connectors and stuff, then start troubleshooting. Is there a component or connection that goes bad that can be repaired or replaced?

I really hope it's not the gear in the differential...

My son just came home and told me that the speedometer and odometer on his '99 Outback have gone intermitant. :mad::mad: It has 131K miles on it.

I guess we'll pull the speedo head and take a look at connectors and stuff, then start troubleshooting. Is there a component or connection that goes bad that can be repaired or replaced?

I really hope it's not the gear in the differential...

Its a common problem in that year, but its usually foresters. Remove the cluster, take the gauges apart (really easy) and clean the contatcs. Do a search here on spedometer and you should find lots of info.

nipper

Thanks, we'll look at it over the weekend.

Also: the cruise control hasn't worked for more than a year, but the speedo was find until yesterday. We rarely use the cruise, so it's not important if it doesn't work. Just wondering if there might be a connection between the two.

Thanks, we'll look at it over the weekend.

Also: the cruise control hasn't worked for more than a year, but the speedo was find until yesterday. We rarely use the cruise, so it's not important if it doesn't work. Just wondering if there might be a connection between the two.

Do you have a manual or auto transmission.

If M/T, stick your head under the dash, there is a cruise control cure switch above the clutch pedal. There is a braket on the side of the pedal arm which should have a rubber stoper in it to activate the switch when the pedal is up. If the stoper is missing that would be the problem.

If an A/T, not usually something so simple.

OK, my cleaned the screws and connector pads for the speedometer with Caig DeoxIT D5 and a paper towel. It's working now, but it was intermittant before. We'll give it a few days and see how it goes.

Thanks for the hints, guys. :clap: Hopefully it was just dirty connections.

Hope the gauge continues to work okay. I think you have that problem whipped. For the cruise control problem check the adjustment of the disconnect switch(es) on the brake, and clutch pedal if you have one. They can make the CC think the pedal is down all the time if not adjusted correctly.

For the cruise control problem check the adjustment of the disconnect switch(es) on the brake, and clutch pedal if you have one. They can make the CC think the pedal is down all the time if not adjusted correctly.

It's an automatic, so no clutch. Repairing the CC is pretty far down on the list of things to do, so it will wait for a while. Thanks for the hints, the brake pedal switch is where we'll look first when we get around to it.

I'm the son with the spedomiter problem. After leaning the screws it worked for a little wile and now it is back to being intermitant again. :mad: I guess i get to take the guage cluster out again and try and figure out what is wrong with it.

• 3 weeks later...
I finally got it fixed. I found out that there are 2 speedo heads available for the 99s. It is determined by VIN number what one is needed. I was sent the wrong one twice and a call to the local dealer helped me direct the internet seller.

All fixed.

nice catch, can you share a little more information about the 2 speedos and how to tell them apart.??